Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oprah May19, 2006

Default Oprah May19, 2006

Well known Tourette speaker Brad Cohen was one of four guests on the Oprah Winfrey show May 19, 2006. Brad is a teacher with Tourette Syndrome and also co-author of the book Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had. For those of you who attended our 2005 conference in Montreal you will recall that Brad was one of our speakers on the Educators Track, and you may have had the opportunity to meet him in person, or even picked up your own copy of his book.

The program focused on people who have ?Beat the Odds? and found success. Brad has described his experience on the show as positive, so we expect this will be a true portrayal of the disorder. To see a preview of the show go to: http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200..._284_106.jhtml.

Watch for re runs, and consider taping or TIVOing it when it's re telecast. It would make a great presentation at any local support group meeting.

If you have a recording of the program, would you post a reply to this message.

I just saw it. I met Brad at the conference in Montreal last year, and he does a good job of advocating. They didn't sensationalize it too much, so it was good.

...they also had a two-legged dog who walked upright. That was impressive.
    Colin

Unfortunately I was occupied so could not watch. Did you record it?

We all watched it and thought it was really good.

When Brad blinked his eyes on the show, my son jumped up and said I do that!

He really understood that other people have this. :D

Steve, it will come on again later and I will tape it for you.

Stephanie

it will come on again later and I will tape it for you
    That would be great. It might make a good presentation for a Chapter Meeting

Thanks Stephanie

Yea, my friend called me and told me about it, but I was at work. Im hoping I see a rerun of it, or if someone tivo'ed it! I want to see what was said. Sounds like more of a "hope" theme instead of a "sympathy" theme some other programs on TS have.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

grammy

I just happened onto the show yesterday. I have never heard of Brad before. The story was inspiring and so positive. I was so happy for Brad and his success. I especially like the positive influence he has on the young children that he teaches in making them aware of treating everyone with respect. I cried, it was so touching. If I had known the story was on, I would have taped it for my husband and grown daughter to see. I'll have to see if the show runs again.

Grammy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Unfortunately I was occupied so could not watch. Did you record it?
    No :/ -- I don't own a VCR. I don't have a decent way to record TV.
    Colin

Grammy,

You may find that the Oprahh site may have a recorded version on sale.

Brad Cohen is a frequent speaker for various Tourette related organizations and is close to the Tourette Syndrome Association.

You may wish to check with your local Chapter of TSA about whether they have plans to sponsor one of his presentations.

Pennsylvania Chapter (Gettysburg) 717-337-1134
    e-mail Info@PATSaInc.org

grammy

Thanks Steve for the PA website.

Grammy