Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Various treatments / Tourette & Veganism

Default Various treatments / Tourette & Veganism

Hello !!!

My name is Hermann, I'm new to the forum and would love to meet other people with similar disorders. I am from Germany and my english is not so good, especally to explain complicated neurological and nutritional experiences, but I try my best and I hope you'll understand me! Thank you!

I am 49, my TS started when I was 12 years old with eye blinking and shaking my head. It was terrible and I had problems to concentrate at school. Four years later painful spasms in the upper arms appeared and some vocal tics. In the following years I had many ups and downs, sometimes more motor and sometimes more vocal tics. I tried many medications like Tiapridex, Risperdal, Orap, Haldol, Zyprexa, Zeldox, Solian etc. ... nothing helped me and after many years I stopped any medication and started to live my life without that. Homeopathy, Hypnosis and some other natural methods helped only a little bit and for a couple of weeks. But they didn't change the conditions of my TS.

1985 I came in contact with an old female doctor and after many many tests she gave me the advice to try a vegan and yeast-free diet. It was very hard for me, because I loved to eat diary products, fish and sometimes meat. After a long process, I noticed, that the advice of this old woman was the best I ever experienced regarding to my TS and the search for help. This special diet reduced the painful convulsions in the upper arms nearly complete and the motor tics for more than 50%. The abandonment of yeast (Baker's yeast in bread etc.) stopped the inner restlessness in my muscles.

I know, these are my personal experiences and I don't know which meaning they have for other Tourette's! In my country, the neuro-scientists are not interested to research in this field -> Tourette's and our daily food! So I don't know, what is behind that all !!? Are there any connections between the metabolism of Dopamine and animal proteine for example? ...

Are here some Tourette's in this forum with similar experiences? I would be glad to come in contact.

Hermann

Sorry admin, please cancel the other posts! I tried to edit my postings, but it didn't work

Hermann

Hermann,

Your other posts have been removed as requested. Editing by members is not available on this Forum.

Your English is fine and we're glad you have chosen to share your experiences with us.

At what age were you actually diagnosed with Tourette?

We will be looking forward to hearing about the experiences of others on the subject of nutrition.

Hi Steve,

thank you for removing the other postings! Is it possible, to correct the topic, that the "m" of Veganism is to read? (-> index!)

I was diagnosed -> 18 years after the first Tourette-Symptoms appeared. A very long time!

Hermann

Hi Steve, are you living with Tourette's? cu Hermann

Hi Steve, are you living with Tourette's
    Hermann,

I was diagnosed late in life, in my 40's having lived until that time being unfamiliar with Tourette and that the things I was doing had a name!

After having been diagnosed, it took several years to become commmfortable with my new found knowledge, but once I was OK with it, I began to volunteer with the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada to help create awareness and to assist others who are being introduced to Tourette.

Tcheuss!

Hi Hermann,

You said the vegan diet is working for you. That's great! It sounds like it would be hard to implement a vegan, yeast-free diet. What do you eat in general? From what source do you get your protein? Also, I have read that vitamin b12 is difficult if not impossible to get on a vegan diet. Do you supplement for b12? I am interested in any nutritional ideas that might help. It might be hard to do a vegan diet with a 10 year old, though. Thanks.

Grammy1

@ Steve: Thanks for your posting!

@ Grammy1: Yes it's hard sometimes, because I only can go out to eat in chinese and indian restaurants for example. Most of my food I have to prepare by myself.

What I eat? Potatoes, Rice, Noodles, Boulgour, corn, all vegetables like carrots, peas, beans etc., all species of salad (fresh). And all fruits. I cannot eat soy-products at all because they worsen my TS.

I wrote down my experiences in German language. If someone is able to understand and interested (see the pdf-file) please
    click here -> http://www.beepworld.de/members27/to...ngtourette.htm

B12 is a very special theme, I guess, there is still a lot of research to do. Yes I support B12.

Hermann

Hi Herman,

B12 is a vitamin and everyone must be careful to get all of their vitamins in their diet.

Many people have B12 monthly shots for a variety of reasons.

For a vegan diet could one source of protein be peanut butter?

Hi Stephanie.

I was already thinking about a monthly shot of Vitamin B12, maybe I am starting very soon. At the moment I take B12 ampullaes to drink.

Peanutbutter: I found, that B1 and B2 is in it. And what about B6 and B12 ???

Hermann