Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: P.A.N.D.A.S.

Default P.A.N.D.A.S.

Hi everybody,
    Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with the term PANDAS. I heard of it through another forum parent. Took my daughter yesterday to have some bloodwork done to check for a connection. Does anyone know how much relation there is between this and TS, or the rate of links between the two. Just curious. My daughter has been improving recently as I have changed her diet(gluten free & sugar free). She is leaving for Newfoundland next week and won't return until Labour Day so I'was hoping for some answers from the blood work before we leave. Look forward to hearing if anyone else has any knowledge about this, because I have very little! Thanks.

Cherry

Default P.A.N.D.A.S.

According to an American website I found: PANDAS, is an abbreviation for Paediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections.

According to the TSFC TS is inherited as a dominant gene(s) that may produce varying symptoms in different family members.

A person with TS has about a 50% chance of passing the gene(s) to one of his/her children. However, the gene(s) may express as TS, as a milder tic disorder, or as obsessive compulsive symptoms with no tics at all.

Default P.A.N.D.A.S.

HI Steph,
    I 've read most of the info you gave. Thanks. As far as I understand it, the pandas is presented after a strep infection such as strep throat and the ticcing is brought on by the bacteria and that subsequent infections increase the ticcing and is controlled by long term antibiotics, theorectically getting rid of the tics?? Just thought someone might have a firmer grasp of it all. Will find out if there is a relationship for my daughter once the bloodwork comes back(positive or negative for strepsolyn bacteria) Will go from there I guess.Thanks.
    Cherry

Default P.A.N.D.A.S.

Cherry:

The site below is documented from: Copyright 2001 - 2005, Leslie E. Packer, PhD

It outlines concerns of parents and connections to TS or other disorders. Hopefully it may answer some of your questions.

http://www.schoolbehavior.com/conditions_pandas.htm

Hope this helps but it appears there are a lot of questions about the relationship between disorders and this strain of bacteria.
    PJK