Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Summer Fun

Default Summer Fun

Give us your tips on avoiding the sun!

Many medications especially ones to treat TS emphasize the need to avoid sunlight.

Do you wear just sunscreen and a hat?

Do you plan on staying inside this summer?

Share with us your tips on having a great summer.

Default Re: Summer Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie
    Give us your tips on avoiding the sun!
    Invest in an Xbox 360. :P
    Colin

Default Summer Fun

Hi Steph,

Could you explain the reason for avoiding the sunlight? Does it increase the risk of burning? We haven't gotten an dx yet, but I am interested in the reasoning for this. I think I am supposed to avoid too much sun exposure on my SSRI also. We go to the pool a lot in the summer and it's hard to avoid sun exposure. My son loves to swim and it seems to lessen tics while he is so active. He also has incredibly flat feet which makes other running type activities hard for him. He does run and play, but he doesn't last very long at it because of his feet. So, swimming works very well for him. No pressure on his feet. He minded his feet at our recent trip to Disneyworld. We do load up on the sunblock for swimming, though, and he is very, very fair skinned. Thanks for any info.

Grammy

Default Summer Fun

Hi Grammy,

The reason for avoiding the sunlight is because some medications can make you more sensitive to sunlight and this is called sun sensitivity. Please check with your doctor to find out if the medication you are taking requires sun precautions.

For some medications, prolonged -- or even less -- exposure to sunlight can be dangerous, causing blistering, sunburn and hives. With others, some sunlight may be OK, but exposure should be limited and extra precautions should be taken.

Your doctor can provide information about any medications you're taking and whether sunlight may be a risk while you're taking them. It's also very important to notify your doctor if you notice any unusual skin reactions while you're on the medication.

If your doctor says it's OK for you to be in the sun, remember, it's always wise to take precautions to protect your skin such as:

Covering up. Wear a long-brimmed hat, sunglasses and lightweight shirts and pants that cover exposed skin.

Wearing sunscreen. Wear sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 that protects from both UVA and UVB rays. Reapply after swimming, sweating or being in the sun for an hour and a half. You may wish to consider waterproof sunscreen if you'll be wet.

Watching the clock. Don't stay in the sun for a prolonged period of time. Avoid outdoor exposure between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun's rays are most likely to cause a burn.

Staying in the shade. Sit beneath an umbrella, canopy or tree. Avoid reflective surfaces, like snow or bodies of water.

Drinking water. It's important to stay well hydrated while being in the sun.

Source