Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Effective Advocates

Default Effective Advocates

Being an effective advocate is vital for our children to get the best education and medical services possible.

Many of us have medical appointments for our children coming up during the summer or to get ready for the new school year.

Tell us your strategies for being an advocate.

Default Being an advocate

For me, I have found that simply being prepared, and knowledgable has been the best thing for being an advocate for my son's. The old adage about the squeaky wheel getting the grease is, in fact, very true.

When I attended my younger son's first IEP meeting, it was great for the teachers and the principal to see me coming in with my binder of information - plus various 'tools' that may have been useful for strategies. I met a LOT of road blocks, and even higher stone walls, but I kept going, kept pushing, and made phone calls to "higher ups" when I felt that I wasn't getting anywhere. The night I got a phone call on my cell phone at 7:15 from the board psychiatrist, well, I knew I was finally being heard!

I've had a rough number of years at the school for both of my sons, so when it comes to advocating for my eldest's needs in respect to TS and whatever else may come our way, I'm hoping the school realizes that I will NOT give up, that I will search for more and more details, and will do all that I can, that maybe they will get the items in place sooner rather than later!

And, new this year for me, as a board of director on our local ADHD association, I am going to be a member of the school board's Special Education Advisory Committee. It will be a lot harder for the special ed teachers to tell me "we can't do that" when I am a member of the committee and KNOW what can and can not be done within the board.

So, being aware of what is available, having as much knowlege as possible - groups such as these are great resources - and not accepting something that you really don't feel IS acceptable is the best way to advocate for your child. YOU know your child best, YOU know what they need, and let's face it, the school has so many kids, with so many issues, if YOU don't stay in the front lines, your child may be put to the sidelines.

That's just my 2 cents!

Be well,
    Jori

Default Effective Advocates

Hi Jori

Very well said. I have taken this same attitude and control over my kids ISSP (term used in NL) and it has led to great things. This i my mission too, to educate parents so they are empowered to manage their child's file.

Thanks for sharing
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Re: Effective Advocates

One of the workshops for TSFC volunteers at the upcoming conference in Edmonton is on advocacy skills training. The workshops are help on September 14th.

The session is being led by Ryan Clarke and "will provide attendees ... with a comprehensive overview of advocacy. You will learn what advocacy is, why it is important to advocate to decision makers, how to use advocacy to raise awareness and address public perceptions. We will also explore the three step process for developing an advocacy strategy."

If you are interested in attending the volunteer workshop contact the TSFC office at 1-800-361-3120. You need to register by August 31.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage