Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saying Hello!!!

Default Saying Hello!!!

I'm a thirty year old man who has a tic disorder of some sort. My doctor called it Tourette's but admits that he's never had a case and I'll have to wait until the Pdoc talks to me to find out what it would fall under.

As a kid I had a few nervous tics as I called them. One is where I rub my hands together quickly while I hunch over and scrunch up my face. The other is where I place a knuckle to the side of my nose and use the other hand to quickly rub it. I never thought anything about these things and possibly a few others at the time. People would ask me what and why I do it. I just considered it an eccentric behaviour of mine but didn't care because it felt good when I did it. Like a bunch of energy and happy particles were released at the time. Later in life roommates would ask me what I was doing after work when I would turn on my stereo and flail my arms around in my room. Although I knew others thought it weird it never seemed weird to me.

Three years ago though I started to say words that had nothing to do with what was going on in my brain. I started staying in more because of them. At first I would say "Do you know who I am" and another saying that I can't remember. I was sure that someone would mistake it for a challenge and attack me. Later it turned into more of a sexual comment. I ,unlike some people have been able to supress my vocal tics, saying them at a level of a whisper or stopping them after the first or second word pops out. One day as I was leaving the house to get groceries it slipped out as two teenage girls walked by my house. I ran into my house almost in tears certain that the cops or something were going to show up at my door and I would have to explain that I hadn't intended to say what I did. This prompted me to make an appointment with my doctor. At the time I had thought that it was due to me comming off my depression pills after 13 years. They don't have long term studies on what these medications do(although this was quickly dismissed).

With the stress of the situation and the unlucky attempt to treat it with two different kinds of medication the tics got much worse(the medications were almost as bad as the tics). Worried that people at work would think I was some nut I told them what the doctor had said. Since most times in public the words are muffled and much more quiet than at home by myself some people started mocking me saying that I was looking for attention.

Default Saying Hello!!!

Hi HumblePI,

Welcome to the TSFC website, we are happy that you found us.

There is Tourette Syndrome support groups all across Canada click Here for support groups in your community.

Even thought you have done these movements since you were a kid without seeing a doctor, it is always good when you can put a name to something you can not help doing.

Also, being able to tell someone that you have a syndrome and cannot help the movements or vocal tic will help ease your anxiety if another situation happens that causes you anxiety.

We do have discussions on various tics throughout the body. Please jump into any discussion that you want or start a new one. We have a discussion called Adults with Tourette .

You are not alone and we are always here to talk to and give support to you anytime.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Default Saying Hello!!!

Hi HumblePI and welcome to the TSFC Forum!

It's not unusual for most physicians to be unable to make a definitive diagnosis for Tourette your personal physician's honesty in admitting unfamiliarity with the diagnostic criteria is a reflection of your doctor's professional integrity.

There is no diagnostic test for Tourette, and a diagnosis is made through observation and interview. For this reason people wanting to receive a competent diagnosis must see a physician with clinical experience as well as a professional interest in Tourette Syndrome.

Though we cannot provide you with a diagnosis on the Forum, we can give you information and point you to resources.

Have a look at the articles on the TSFC website, click on the link below the signature of any of the Forum moderators.

We have a downloadable PDF document which describes Tourette Syndrome HERE

As you have determined, it is unlikely the tics you express are a side effect or result of your anti depressant medication.

Are you able to control or suppress your tics in some situations or do your tics happen even if you would want to suppress them?

have to wait until the Pdoc talks to me
    I'm unfamiliar with the term Pdoc :?:

some people started mocking me saying that I was looking for attention.
    If indeed your tics are Tourette related, then these manifestations are due to a neurological disorder and are involuntary and are not Behavioural. Most responsible and reasonably intelligent adults in our day and age are more aware of disabilities and disorders and do not ridicule people who are different.

Sometimes they need information such as the information document I referred to above. People who ridicule people who are different usually do so because of their own insecurities.

Stephanie offered a good suggestion to look up the list of TSFC local Chapters where you can get info on resources near you.

Feel free to ask as many questions here as you wish, join in any ongoing discussion or start as many as you like.

Hope you find the TSFC Forum helpful. :D

Default Saying Hello!!!

Hi HumblePI

Welcome to the TSFC Forum I am glad you found us. I just wanted to let you know that we try to be here 24/7 so feel free to pop online any time.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Saying Hello!!!

A belated Welcome to the TSFC forum!

I hope you drop in and visit other parts of the forum. Feel free to respond and create topics.

The process of getting diagnosed can be frustrating and long for individuals. Hopefully the answers will fall into place for you and I hope you are able to find some information here that might help you.
    PJK