Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Low Self Esteem

Default Low Self Esteem

I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you TSers have a low self esteem and what about and stuff. I have a really low self esteem mainly when it come's to learning..I feel like everything i do is wrong alot. So some1 who gives me advice or constructive critisim might mean pointing the finger at me...then my whole world crashes and all a sudden everything i am is "stupid..worthless". Its strange because usually im totally confident...and im known for that. But if someone says the right words it hits me so hard. I guess im jus really sensitive and i feel bad for the people who say those things because they dont know...it has nothing to do with them, just my self esteem. Its embarressing b/c i just cant hold bk the tears...and every1s like omg whys she crying. Yah. any1 else? so i dont feel completely alone here
    Alley

Default Low Self Esteem

Hi Alley,

You are never alone here! We are always here to support you and we value your input.

Having low self-esteem is common with teenagers anyway plus having TS and being a little different puts extra pressure on you. Most of the people who are making you feel bad are the ones who feel bad about themselves!

Please remember that you are unique in this world and even if it takes you a little longer to learn something, it is ok. Don't let other people have the power to make you feel bad about yourself. Remember that it is your family that you will spend your life with and not your classmates in school.

We are always here to listen and help you.

Default Low Self Esteem

Hi Alley:

What you are describing I can relate too and Stephanie is right about low self esteem. It comes with growing up and finding yourself.

I can relate to the "trigger" words that just cause tears or even anger within. I was the same way in my late teens. I felt like a target at your age.

I would suggest that you take account of what you like in life and what you enjoy doing. Then focus on that and just master it.

For me it was art, horses and BBQ. Taking self pride in your own abilities goes along way when others weaker then you are busy dumping on you.

A man once said to me " give yourself a rose" you deserve it even if you are not aware of it. You have so much to offer this life and so many gifts and talents, don't let others strip you of them.

What you are feeling is "normal" and it is good you realize it now in stead on when your are much older.
    You are worth much more then you realize and once you do, others like those that make you cry will notice too and stop hurting you.

Take care and keep smiling.
    PJK

Default Low Self Esteem

I can relate I used to have low self esteem as well and sometimes break out in tears but things have gotten better for me.... I think

Default Re: Low Self Esteem

Evan

I am glad to hear life is better. I think everyone experiences these feelings at some point of their life.

You have a lot to offer others in life and a bright future ahead. That is obvious to all of us on the forum.

Keep smiling!

PJK

I also have low self esteem, though I'm not sure whether it's related to TS. I'm one of those people who have a completely confident front and always look like I've got it together and got it all made, and I am confident in a lot of things that I do, but I also have a lot lower self esteem than most people in other areas. Only my closest friends and a few basketball coaches have noticed because I hide it really well and, like I said, I am confident in a lot of areas. I used to cry really easily but have learned how to not cry and so I rarely cry at all anymore, once in a few months would even be rare.

I don't know if it has anything to do with my TS, although I am self conscious about that as well, though I know most people don't notice as much as I do. Anyways, that's my experience with it!
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

Steph

First I'd like to welcome you back. I know you have popped in over the summer some but it is wonderful to see you again.

Second, I think all of us feel this way from time to time. We can not be the master of everything in life and sometimes we can just be unsure of ourselves enough to bottom out while others around us are cheering us on with our accomplishments.

Odd how the mind works.

In my son I can see the TS causing some self esteem issues and sometimes it just seems to make him stop in his tracks instead of leading or moving forward.
    Those around you know who you are and see the gifts in your personality you offer others. We just seem to be our worst critic sometimes. I too can relate to putting on a great front while in my teens but it does get better.

Just focus on what you are good at and work toward little goals on things you'd like to improve on. You will see a big change in the way you see yourself and others will notice too. You have a lot to offer others and have been a great support on this forum.

I'm glad you are back and the teen section and the rest of the forum have missed you.

PJK

I'm 60 and I've had many tics all my life which people have noticed and was told and teased a few times .I recently was told about Tourette's.

M y self esteem has been low all my life and never feel as good as anyone else . So I've a front and I could do it for so long but a price has to be paid and depression,severe anxiety has been my compagnion for a long time. Beside had a stressfull job which did not help.

OK! In my case could I say that the anxiety and depression could be could related to Tourette's in any way?

I am not sure if this topic is still active I guess I posted in it awhile ago well that post was made when I was in quebec and things just got worse again while I was there now I am in ontario and things are better but I find things can just trigger it for me like I wanted to be a jr youth leader at the church and I waited the 6 months and am in grade 10 now but I still could not be one and yet brandon who is a complete goof and takes nothing seriously in life get to be youth leaders and I am the same age same grade as him and I wanted to be one badly and that just bugged me and I broke out in tears because I was so annoyed things like that bug me