Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: on the way to full diagnosis

Default on the way to full diagnosis

Hi there,
    Just wanted to drop in an update. I want to talk about it but don't want to call anyone (friends/family) and have to go through the whole story again and again... So I'll post a message and get it out of my system.
    We had our pediatrician appointment this afternoon and my little man was a trooper. The Dr. was amazing (though a little huggy for my guys comfort level). He's hooking us up with a psychiatrist as we had assumed he would.
    I had kind of forgotten what I had explained to my son and what I haven't so tonight as we were reading stories I said the word Tourette and he asked what that was... oops... Now I am sure I've mentioned this word to him before but he's also 5 and there has been so much going on and so many words thrown at him lately... Always a teaching moment.
    I'm getting in touch with the school the day they open (Aug.28) and hopefully we can start off on a good foot with everyone in the loop.

All of these appointments have really made me have to look at myself and my own TS+, which I really didn't put much energy into before. I feel like I should be signing my name with all my abbreviations after.

mommyG, MS, TS, OCD, and a slight cold.

Thank you all for your support.

MommyG,

Sounds like good progress is being made. Consider making use of the in service program for acquainting your son's school with Tourette.

You can contact a local TSFC Chapter or if no one is available, you can purchase the in service program from the National Office.

Use the link below my signature for the TSFC homepage for more info or call (800) 361-3120.

You may also want to role play and rehearse with your son a simple explanation about his Tourette to people who may challenge him, explaining that it's involuntary and that it's a neurological disorder.

The language, of course would be adapted to his age and understanding.

Please keep us posted on your progress :D

Thank you steve, that's a really good idea to role play his response. I will be in contact with TSFC for an inservice.

Default Re: on the way to full diagnosis

I am glad you have made some progress and hope you are feeling better about the future. I am also glad you are letting the school know what is happening. If you need a in-service program for staff and/or students it would be possible and maybe help others better understand and avoid so many questions your little guy might not be able to express yet.

Take care and keep us posted..
    PJK