Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How does a child explain to others

Default How does a child explain to others

I am looking for suggestions on how to teach my son to explain his tics to adults and other children.
    He's 5 1/2 so it needs to be simple enough for him to be able to get the point across... Right now he's just saying 'I can't help it' which I guess for him says it all but for adults they don't seem to get it. Usually the response is something along the lines of 'yes you can' because of course, adults know more then children (groan).
    How do your young ones deal with this? I am in the process of preparing him for school, right now he asks me to explain before a play-date or family gathering so he can be him self and not have to answer the question himself. And of course I freely do this being the momma bear protecting her cub. I will be explaining to him about how I can't tell everyone though, because we can't just call everyone at the mall, every kid or teacher in the school, etc.
    I will be calling the school tomorrow to get in to speak with the principal and (hopefully) the teacher before school starts.
    I am ordering the handbook for educators and as per suggested by the gentleman from my local TSFC buying a copy for the school.
    Have I covered everything? Short of giving him a T-shirt that explains it all I think I've covered this educate the people thing...
    I also want to steer away from him explaining to peers that it's something in his brain because my fear is when a typical child hears there's somthing different in someone's brain then they are labled crazy or whatever childhood lable they can give... I know I can't protect him from everything but I want to give him some tools to do as much self advocating in a positive way that I can.

Default Re: How does a child explain to others

MommyG

When speaking to your TSFC chapter did the option of an in-service program come into conversation?

This is one of the easiest ways to make life easier for your son.

Call the chapter back and get the contact info for the in-service worker. Then when you call the school to schedule your appointment to speak to them about your son, tell them you would like a program for both staff and for a small group of students that will be in contact with your son.

The program only takes 30 to 45 minutes and is geared to the age group being brought in. On the next PA day the principal can have all staff members attend a program.
    We did this for my son and it stopped all the questions and bad behaviors from adults. His experiences in school were so bad in the past he did not want to return.
    Make sure your principal understands which disorders your son has and they should bring a social worker into the picture that works directly with the school system and offers direction to counselors and staff of how to handle his introduction and the approach staff should have to protect him.

The word neurological is to much for a 5 year old to say, but my son use to tell people that his brain made him tic and he could not make his brain stop the signal. He used an example of raising your arm when you did not want too.
    He also use to say if he got worried or stressed that it made the sounds worse or his motor tics worse.

If you can get a bracelet (most kids wear them now for one cause or another) he can show the name of the bracelet to an adult to make them back off.
    You can order the bracelet too but when speaking to the local chapter you may find there are some in stock to purchase.

I hope this helps and keep us posted.
    PJK

You could also try using the Tourette is Powerful DVD -available from the TSFC-it is done from the childs perspective and it might help him find the words and language to talk to his friends. You could also keep it simple by helping to explain the things he does as the same as everyones need to sneeze and blink.

An in-service geared towards the age group would be great.

let us know what you have tried.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Thank you both for your suggestions.
    I did talk to someone about an in-service, he suggested my going in there first and seeing how it goes, then if need be to call and set one up.
    I bought the 'tourette is powerful' video, my son wasn't as into it as I was but he did get something out of it. He was 'posturing' that night and I asked him to stop he said that he couldn't because he can't stop, and said 'they didn't talk about it on that movie but it's the same thing' (meaning that it's not just him doing it it's Tourette).
    I like the idea of a bracelet...
    I'm having a hard time seeing what's Tourette and what's OCD, but we'll get there in time.
    Thanks again
    I'll keep you posted

I'm having a hard time seeing what's Tourette and what's OCD, but we'll get there in time.

I still have a hard time too so don't worry, with a syndrome like this many things are often muddled. But you are right you will get there in time.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

My son is 8 and i explained it to him by saying your brain has lots of little helpers to do things like move your arm blink and so on,when you have ts your brain has too many helpers and they get bored and get up to mischief and start blinking and moving things when they arnt supposed to.Easier to understand than medical terms.

Hi MommyG,

My son is 9 and he tells other kids that he just makes these extra moves, then he moves his arms just like an octopus!

It is really funny and I think it makes him feel more comfortable making a joke with it and this helps the other kids deal with it.

This is what works for him, also did you ask your son how he would want to talk about it?

My 7 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Tourette's in August and during her visit with the neurologist, he told me that I should stop saying that my daughter has "tics", and that we should all say she has "habits". So, now when my daughter is questioned about her movements, she says "I have some habits, that's all." Funny thing is...nobody asks her beyond that. It works for her.

Hi EmsMom,

I have some habits, that's all." Funny thing is...nobody asks her beyond that.
    I guess no one asks beyond that because we all have habits but not many have tics.

How has your family coped with the diagnosis?

When my oldest (12 1/2) explains to his whole class, he says it is like a sneese he can't hold in or a misquito bite that you HAVE to scratch. Kids ask him questions sometimes on the playground and he has always told them that he has Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD and that it makes him tic and then he gives a couple of examples of what his tics are. Which change with time, sometimes they are eye blinking, throat clearing, he spins when he walks, or sort of shimmis a step. He just says that the TS is what causes it to happen and that is the way it is. That usually satisfies most ppl. But yes having an in-service for the age appropriet group is a perfect idea because your son is so young. They will have someone come to the class and show the Tourette's is Powerfull DVD, and talk to the kids and answere and questions. It takes the pressure of of your son to have to explain himself. Also the American TS Foundation has son great handouts that you can by on-line and download to your computer, one is one how to talk to the class. I have it and others if you like.