Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TS and Aspergers Syndrome

Default TS and Aspergers Syndrome

I'm just wondering if anyone has had to contend with both of these conditions? My 24 year old son was initially diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 18, but is actually showing behaviours far more consistent with mild/moderate TS & AS. Especially when he is stressed out, tired or over excited, the symptoms are much more distinct. He recognizes that some of his social skills are lagging, but I doubt that he is aware of his TS behaviors. He has low frustration tolerance, some depression and he easily suffers from information overload. I can only hope that our family doctor can point him (us) in the right direction, because even employment is becoming too difficult for him to maintain because of the fatigue that he is experiencing(consequently he is back at home with us) If anyone has any comments, they would be appreciated. If my son were younger, I could intervene more readily. But he is an adult, and I must tread so much more gently it seems. It's difficult.

Default Re: TS and Aspergers Syndrome

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

Yes, your question is one that exists in others lives on the forum.

The Tic Parade section for TS+ may provide some insight on how others have managed. You can use the search engine above by typing AS and find all the posts related to AS & TS.

Hopefully you will receive some responses by other forum members that have first hand experience.

Have you located a TSFC local chapter in your area?

It helps to be able to speak to others and build relationships locally and create a network of support. If you have any questions please feel free to ask on the forum and we would be happy to help.

PJK

Thank you for your response. I have located a monthly TS group that meets throughout greater Vancouver which I will attempt to connect with. I have not found any supports yet to do with A.S. or TS+.

PKMom

I would suggest contacting the local United Way office in Vancouver. By doing a search I found a program they sponsor for younger individuals with AS. They should be able to direct you to a support group.

Often TS+ means TS with health concerns and this would include AS. Your local representative would be able to introduce you to other families with similar or identical concerns.
    We do have others on this forum that have AS as well as TS and this is why I suggested the search engine to add your posts to these topics.

Our forum members are slowly returning after summer holiday and you will find more activity in September for this reason.

I am glad you found a group to participate in. It always help to build a support unit and we try to offer this here to our members.

Please keep us posted and join in on other topics or sections.

Take care.
    PJK

I so much appreciate the support that I have already received from this website and forum! I also did use the search engine and found much useful information there as well. Yesterday I felt sooo distraught, but somehow today, I feel that much better. Earlier today I also read that 'Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it', so I am trying to respond as best as I can...it's the best way to be supportive to my son. Thank you and I look forward to being able to come to this site and learning a bit more each time!

Hi PKmom

Feel free to read through the older posts and reply... this will often trigger new discussion around topics covered in the past. Gald you are find ing this site helpful. Feel free to ask any questions any time

Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Great to hear from you and I am glad the forum is helping.
    PJK