Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sucking of T shirt and Grinding teeth

Default Sucking of T shirt and Grinding teeth

My son has TS, OCD and ADHD and I was wondering is sucking T shirts (up the top and enough to put holes in them : )and grinding of teeth a tic or is it OCD or could it be one or the other ?????

Thanks in advance Jaxx (New Zealand)

Default Re: Sucking of T shirt and Grinding teeth

Jaxx,

That's an interesting question, and I don't have an answer, but it is certainly the type of activity reported by others with Tourette.

Grinding or gnashing of teeth seem to be frequent expressions of Tourette behaviour.

Looking forward to the comments of others to better define this type of activity.

Does your son talk about whether these are spontaneous activites or if they are performed because of perceived need to satisfy a discomfort or uneasiness?

Hi Jaxx,

My son who has TS+ does suck and bite his shirts, it seems to be a relatively new thing for him. From my observations he tends to do this as a stress reliever. If he is angry or sad it is a very common things for him to do. My son also grinds his teeth not as much now as when he was younger. He actually started grinding his gums when he was a baby. :o It has only been in the last year or so that I have not noticed him doing it as often. Two of my daughters who have not been diagnosed yet, but do show some signs of OCD both bite and suck on thier clothes as well. So in my family I would tend to think of it as a compulsion rather than a tic, but it can be very difficult to determine the difference between the two.

All the best, Kirsten :D

My son also grinds his teeth. I notice that he does it most often when he is angry or upset. I guess he uses it as a mechanism to stay in control. He mostly does it in school as that is when he needs to stay in control the most. He rarely "loses it" at school. Since grade one teachers have mentioned it. The teachers see it as defiance and do not like it when he does that however I think they would rather that if they were to ever see what a melt down is actually all about. There are so many issues to deal with at school that I have never really talked to the teachers or worried about that. As the saying goes "pick your battles" as we have soooo many to choose from.

Thanks for that - I am concerned about the teeth as his dental nurse said his teeth are getting ruined from the grinding - and they are not sure what to do apart from a mouthguard and with his OCD issues that will never happen for now anyway. He grinds his teeth both day and night as I can hear it from my bedroom at night....When he is grinding bad his teeth get so sore and he is awful to live with as we all know what toothache is like...... LOL. This TIC/OCD issue has come and gone for years - I keep hoping it will never return but it does lasts about 6 - 8 weeks usually and then goes away for a few months again. Tried the gewing gum, which helps a bit. He will do it when he is relaxed playing on the computer watching TV, or when he is anxious, but seems unaware he is doing it - he says "he can't stop it" etc.

With the shirt chewing he does not even seem to notice he is doing it till I mention it, I even bought him a nice expensive T shirt he really wanted to see if that helps by the end of 2 wears the first hole is appearing GGRRRRR (won't be doing that again LOL).

The reason I ask I suppose is because if it is TS I will handle it differently to if it is OCD. I am concerend because his teeth are getting so bad now and no-one seems to know how to help.

Anyway Thanks for the replies....

Cheers Jaxx (New Zealand)

Hi,
    My 12 year old use to suck on his clothes but has not done so in maybe three years. His OCD is mild and tends to be related to bedtime. Based on this I always assumed the sucking on the clothes was a tick. My six year old does it as well. He is not yet diagnosed but I know it's coming.

Hope this helps.

Yes I think I agree when we went to the psyc. doctor the other day, because it is not just an anxiety issue, like alot of his other OCD stuff he also feels it is a tic as well as the grinding of the teeth.

Well anyway we are working on it that it is a tic rather than OCD.

Take care Jaxx (New Zealand)

My son has done this. We have gone through so many shirts its not funny! He chews on the shirt putting holes in them everywhere. It is frustrating and he has destroyed many of his shirts and socks...yes socks....he eats those too. He does not even realize he is doing it. It gets worse when he is anxious or nervous. Mason has even grinded his baby teeth right down to little stubs. I have never seen him grind them so I assume he does it in his sleep. It is frustrating but he does not do it as much now as he did a year ago.

I certainly understand the frustration.

Sara
    Sara

Hi there

My son also is a shirt chewer. He has waxed and waned through periods of chewing the neck bank of his t-shirts and this has even been to the point that when he has come home from kindergarten that his complete neck band was gone from his shirt. this is considered a tic as it does wax and wane and there is typically no obsession driving the compulsion as would be seen in OCD. My son gets all excited about ordering books from Scholastic... when his books come home they have often come home with the binding chewed off which showed me that his need to chew could be transferred to another object.

I typically encourage him to chew gum and this helps sometimes but most of the time it is not enough to meet the need. When the chewing transfers to chewing the inside of your mouth or to the tip of your tongue it falls under self injurious behavior but that can start another topic thread.

Kids often chew on the tops on their pens, etc to try and meet this need as well.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College