Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Joshua's Mommy: New

Default Joshua's Mommy: New

Hi, I am as my name states in here, Joshua's Mommy. Joshua is 8 yrs old and was also just diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome in September. I am also having a lot of problems with the school and his teacher and am becoming not only a big advocate for my son, but against the way "educated" adults respond to my son. I would love to hear what you did to get the school to help your older son because Joshua also has ADHD, ODD, IED, and now Tourette's Syndrome. I am also very new to this site and you're actually the first posting I read, and now replied to. I wish you the best of luck with both of your very lucky boys and hope we'll be able to swap notes sometime.

Melissa

Default Re: Joshua's Mommy: New

Melissa,

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you found us and we'll be pleased to share information with you.

Do you know if there are any local Tourette support groups in your area? Let us know in what area you are located and we'll see if we can point you to some, if you have not already made contact.

Welcome to the forum Melissa!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuamommy
    I am also having a lot of problems with the school and his teacher and am becoming not only a big advocate for my son, but against the way "educated" adults respond to my son. I would love to hear what you did to get the school to help
    Education, education and more education!

Providing your son's school with information is a great first step. The TSFC website www.tourette.ca has a Q & A page that you can print out to start. If you have a chapter in your area you may be able to borrow the Educators Resource Kit (including the Circle of Support video) that your school can view as well. These may also be purchased from the TSFC through the website or you can call them at 1-800-361-3120. Perhaps you can get your son's school to purchase one so that they can keep it for future reference.

The Educator's handbook is also a useful tool for the school. These books are included in the Educators Resource Kit or you can purchase them separately. Where do yo live? Some chapters have already donated these books to schools and your school may already have one. I found it helpful to highlight the parts that pertain to my son in particular so that the school did not have to read the entire book if they felt they didn't have the time.

The TSFC also has trained in-service providers that can go out to your school depending on the area you llive in. They can provide sessions for teachers and classmates.

School boards usually have Special Education Consultants that you can request to be involved with you son's school. Requesting that a psych nurse observe your son at school in order to provide feeback to the teachers and yourself so that you can all brainstorm strategies is also a good option.

Try to remember when dealing with the school that they have many other students with many different issues they need to deal with in any given day. Try not to bombard them with info and try your best to remain calm and understanding of their limitations. (I know easier said than done.)

If you can bring someone with you to school meetings that will remain objective as these meetings can be very emotional for parents and things that are being said by either side can sometimes get lost in the fray.

It is tough but it can be done and you have made a good first step in requesting help and information to help your son.

Last but not least if there is a chapter in your area attend the support group meetings. The parents there are going through the same things you are and can offer you much needed support and a place to vent your frustrations. This forum is also a place to do that.

If you have any specific questions please ask us. Many of our moderators have been exactly where you are now.

Patti

<<edited: product name clarified>>

Hi Melissa

Welcome and I am glad you were able to reach out to us. The fact that you are ready to get the support you will need and are ready to seek out answers to the questions is great. Many newly diagnosed families really struggle with acceptance of the diagnosis, I was one of them. The TSFC has so many effective resource tools that you may want to take advantage of. Patti has done a phenominal job recapping how to go about educating the teachers and this is what we did too to ensure our boys were set up for success in the classroom. I swear by the educators guide because it has so much helpful information. I would also encourage you to contact the national office and get a copy of the Family handbook.

Were you expecting a TS diagnosis?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Melissa

Welcome the to TSFC forum and I am glad you found us.

You have been provided some sound advice and this topic extends to the parent section.

Take care.
    PJK

Hi, Melissa:
    Just another Mom saying, "You've come to the right place!" I agree with what everyone else has said. I live in a small community but I have volunteered to be the Contact person for the Tourette Syndrome of Canada Foundation (TSFC) for this area.

I am just preparing to do an in-service presentation to the teachers and then the classmates of a 7 yr. old in my area. First, I'm taking the "Circle of Support" kit with the video and Educators Handbook for the principal to view as she'd like to see it first and then she will view it with the teachers in the school with me facilitating. Then, she'll set up a meeting with the parents and child and I'll talk with them about what they see the challenges as being in the classroom and how much they and the child wish divulged and wish to be involved. I'll take my cues from the principal and the parents/child as to how to proceed from there and we'll come up with a plan for the teachers and the classroom. As you'll see in "Circle of Support", it's a team approach with the child, parents, educators, special educators and TSFC all working together.

I hope you have some of these resources available in your area but, if not, please contact the Foundation and see what can be done to help you get the "Circle of Support" kit and the Parents' Handbook. Believe me, the lights will come on!

I didn't have anyone here to support us when we began this journey five years ago but I've joined TSFC and gotten every bit of material I could, plus I've gone to three conferences TSFC has presented out here in the west. There are no greater tools than education, beginning with yourself, and fellowship with others who have been or are going through the same types of situations. You can find great fellowship here on the Forum even if there's no support group in your area. We're all part of the team and, with a Mom who's out looking for information and support, your child is getting the biggest gift there is! The number one indicator for success in learning is involved parents. These kids practically demand involvement--and we've found our son is actually ahead of many others his age (15 1/2) because of our close relationship. Even on the days when he feels like he doesn't need parents, deep down inside he knows we're there for him.

In closing, my son and I were waiting to see the vice-principal (nothing major!) when another boy came into the office and asked to lie down. The secretary asked why and he said he'd been hit by a car on the way to school. When she offered to call his parents, he looked dejected and said, "Don't bother. I called my Dad and he said I had to come to school. I'm feeling really dizzy, though." This really affected my son, who was wishing I was invisible up to that point. Even later in the day, he brought it up and said, "I can't believe a parent would make their kid go to school and not even come to see if they were all right after being hit by a car!" He then looked at me and said, "Thanks, Mom." One thanks after 5 years (15, really!) of being there but it erased all the pain and sacrifice it took to be there.

So, thanks, Melissa, for being there for Joshua. You're on the right track!

Cheers
    Val