Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RLS

Default RLS

Has anyone experienced restless leg syndrome?

My son has experienced this since three and after many years of improvement it seems to be getting worse again.

His seems to be tied into his sensory issues and the feel of clothing.
    PJK

Default Re: RLS

Hi,

Yes, I have had RLS off and on for 30 years. I don't have TS though. I find magnesium eliminates the problem when taken right before going to bed. I only find the powdered form that you mix in hot water helpful. I have tried the tablet form which did nothing for me. I always keep a bottle of it on hand. I usually just take the RDA of it and that works. Check with his doctor to see if he might try it. Hope this helps.

Grammy

Grammy

That's interesting. I have another child with limb problems and potassium in her answer.
    We keep a lot of banana's and grapes in the home..

Thanks for the tip!

Happy New Year.
    PJK

I know very little about this , but I move my legs alot and bounce my knees but they would be tics. I have not come across this condition with my family but we all ie my mom and a couple of my siblinges all move our legs... It makes me wonder... especially since I was not diagnosed with TS till my son was.

Is it possible to have this and not know it? or is the sensation or feelings so strong that it's obvious something is not right?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Hi Janet,

I think if it were RLS you would know it. For me, the sensation is so strong that I can't stand it unless I get up and walk, jump, jog around the room to relieve the sensation. As soon as I move, the sensation stops. So, the worst time would be lying still, especially while trying to sleep. Before I found the magnesium, I would jump up out of bed, after trying with all my might not to move my legs, and start jogging next to my bed. Mine is a creepy-crawly sensation. It is not painful, but a really weird sensation. I've heard that it can be painful also. I don't get pain. Also, before I used the magnesium, I had read in our local paper about using rubbing alcohol on your legs. That used to work for me, but the problem with that was that I would have to get up and generously apply the alcohol to both legs, thus disrupting my half-sleep state even more. It did work though. I also keep a bar of soap under the sheet at the foot of my bed. I read that that works for RLS although I don't know if it works for me because I take the magnesium. I don't know what the scientific explanation for that one (the soap) would be! So, these are the remedies I have come across.

Grammy

I bet you are right. I figured from how several members have talked about it that it was more than just needing to move your legs.

thanks Grammy
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College