Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is banging your knee a tic?

Default Is banging your knee a tic?

When I was 13/14 I had to kneel down and bang my right knee on the ground when I was out. It changed to having to bang it against a wall. I used to bang it under the table when at school as well.
    No thought prossess when into this, I'd just suddenly get the urge to do it. I'd keep on doing it until it felt good.
    Does this sound like a tic?
    It started me off having to bang both my knees one after the other so many times because I was obsesed with doing things 3,5 or 7 times using both sides of my body.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated on this one because I'm trying to distinguish the differences between tics and obsessive compultions.

Smile Re: Is banging your knee a tic?

I don't think it is a tic I think it is ocd.

Default Re: Is banging your knee a tic?

The line between TS and OCD is grey, and blurry. It's tough to say. Some people consider Tourette's Syndrome to be a branch or sub-set of OCD symptoms (where is Darin by the way?) while others simply point out that your chances of developing OCD are much higher when you have TS. (The same thing goes for ADD, ADHD, PDD and hatred towards initialisms.)

Until you said you had to do it a specific number of times, it sounded like a tic. The number of repetitions and the need for symmetry sound like OCD. It's likely that it could be both.

Many people with Tourette's Syndrome have obsessive-compulsive behaviours without having fully-active obsessive-compulsive disorder. It may simply be a motor tic that, with time, you developed a ritual around.
    Colin

Thanks cailean. I couldn't find any info online that said banging or knocking knees is a tic so thought it must only be a compultion.
    There's another tic I had where I'd throw my arm out hard to make my elbow crack that turned into a compultion to do it so many times and symetrical because that's what I was obsessed with doing at that time. Only just realsied that one was definetly a tic last week after reading a post in this forum.

My son had a tic when he was about 8 (12 now) where he would sit there while watching T.V. and bang his knees together really hard, while clicking his teeth together. This has been by far my least favorite tic, as for me it was like fingernails down a chalkboard. It must have hurt the poor guy, although he never admitted to it. He's always denied his tics for some reason.

cookiemonster

No thought prossess when into this, I'd just suddenly get the urge to do it. I'd keep on doing it until it felt good.
    Does this sound like a tic?
    When there is no thought process behind the need to do this action it is most likely a tic, OCD compulsions are typically due to a need to satisfy an obssession. If you knock your knee till it hurts it could also fall into the area of SIB-self injurous behavor.

Cookiemonster many kids deny their tics because they are not aware they are doing them. Once they become aware they often feel the need to justify their behavor in an attempt to mask the reality of a tic. This is common in kids/ teens.

does he still deny a tic when it has been ongoing for a long period of time?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

"does he still deny a tic when it has been ongoing for a long period of time?"

Sorry I haven't yet figured out how to quote only part of someone's post, so I cut and pasted it!

Yes, he has always denied short term or long term tics. It wasn't until just recently (after 9 yrs. of ticcing) that he will allow me to discuss the TS with him... although he won't contribute to the conversation... at least he will nod his head! It's always been like pulling teeth to get ANY information out of him... regardless of the topic... verbal just isn't his thing, and I totally understand that.

His 6yr. old brother is different that way, he'll go into great detail about everything and anything, including the tics he has... so it's refreshing, although I'm still trying to think of ways of making meaningful communication with my eldest.

cookiemonster

Hi there

It only goes to show that all kids are so different. Don't you feel you have had an improved understanding and more tolerance as you have worked through the symptoms with your 6 year old?

I know with my oldest because I didn't know what was the cause of his behaviors I spent years of trying to "change" him. Fortunately once I knew I started trying to repair the relationship with him by telling him it was all okay and he didn't have to stop. Then when my second son started to tic I just said nothing so he does not have those "bad experiences" I created with my oldest.

I speak to moms all the time and all kids react differently to how they deal or cope with the symptoms. It would be great to have them all accept the tics but the fact that you have reached a point with your son that he is communicating is a great thing, it doesn't matter that he is not vocal... body language works and gives you insight into how he is feeling and where he is right now.

Great job "engaging with your teen".

To quote a part of what someone says, do the cut and paste and then highlight the pasted section and click the talking bubble on top of the reply box ie it the button to the left of the # sign.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Quote Originally Posted by cailean View Post
    The line between TS and OCD is grey, and blurry. It's tough to say. Some people consider Tourette's Syndrome to be a branch or sub-set of OCD symptoms (where is Darin by the way?)

I'm right here. Sorry to be away so long. It's good to see that someone was paying attention when I wrote that stuff about TS being OCD.

If you are ticcing a certain number of times, then it's not a tic. It's OCD. Until we can prove that TS is a physical / muscular OCD, without cognition, then we still have to call a tic a tic. When you add cognition or obsession or whatever you want to call it, it's no longer a tic. Tics are, by definition as per neurology, muscle movements that are not voluntary - I call them "unmotivated" because involuntary means something specific.

And usually tics do not directly hurt so much, although this is likely not an actual factor. A tic is not about hurting yourself, while OCD often includes this concept. Tics just happen to hurt. You can compulsively or obsessively hurt yourself. Yuck.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I'm starting to get annoyed by the concepts of "obsessive tics", "sensory tics", and "Tourettic (sic) OCD". We know that OCD and TS are very comorbid, and I think (think) my mother said they've proven the genetic link, so why don't we just stop making up new concepts when we have three that cover most of it: ADHD, OCD, TS.

I was at an OCD conference, and a whole cord of people kept saying their OCD was "TS-like". Wrong! I watched / felt these people. They have TS+. Yeesh. [/SOAPBOX]
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

I agree, for the most part. But I've had tics that have evolved into OCD.

For example, I've ocassionally had number obsessions. Specifically, the number 8 has been a big deal for me. A few times, I've developed tics that lasted a while - jerking my head is one example. Originally, it was a pure tic - plain and simple. But as it hung around for a few months, I began feeling the need to do it 8 times in a row.

The first time would have been enough to satisfy the original tic, and the "tic" feeling was consistent. The OCD part was that I had to do it 8 times, and didn't really have anything to do with the movement - because other repetitive movements (even non-tics, like pushing an elevator button) had to be done 8 times as well.
    Colin