Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To The Forum

Default New To The Forum

HI MY NAME IS VALERIE & AM NEW TO THE FORUM! WE HAVE 3 CHILDREN OUR OLDEST SON WAS DX LAST YEAR WITH ADHD,ANXIETY,LD-NOS,ODD & JUST ABOUT A MONTH AGO WAS DX WITH TOURETTE'S+. WE DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT TOURETTE'S BUT TRYING TO FIND ALL THE INFORMATION WE CAN ( THIS FORUM IS AMAZING!!) WE ONLY KNOW A FEW OF HIS TIC'S HE SNIFF'S, MAKE'S FUNNY NOISES SOMETIMES,ONE TIME HE BIT HIMSELF ON THE ARM AT SCHOOL AND LEFT TEETH MARKS I COULD SEE AFTER SCHOOL. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS IF HITTING OTHERS COULD BE A TIC (HE ONLY HURTS HIS BROTHER & SISTER) BUT IT SEEMS TO BE ALL THE TIME THAT HE HAS TO BE EITHER HITTING,PINCHING OR PUSHING HIS FINGERS INTO THEM, IT'S LIKE HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HE'S DOING IT SOMETIMES! HE ALSO SUFFERS FROM RAGE ATTACTS THEY APPEAR TO COME FROM KNOW WHERE I ACTUALLY FEAR FOR MY OTHER TWO CHILDREN SOMETIMES BECAUSE HE JUST LOSES IT,HE HAS THREATENED TO CUT HIS SISTER UP WITH A KNIFE BEFORE. BUT THEN AS QUICK AS IT COMES IT LEAVES & HE IS LIKE WHAT'S THE MATTER? I REALLY BELIEVE THAT HE TOTALLY IS OUT OF IT WHEN THE RAGE ATTACTS COME!!!! WE HAVE A NEW PED. WHO DX HIM HE IS A REALLY NICE GUY! HE HAS PUT BRAYTON ON WELLBRUTRON? NOT SURE HOW IT SPELLED BUT IT'S NOT WORKING SO HE WILL BE TRYING SEAROQUIL NEXT. HE ALSO SEEMS TO HAVE SCHOOL AVOIDENCE I'M NOT SURE IF IT IS HIS ANXIETY OR TOURETTE'S THAT CAUSES HIM TROUBLE, HE SAY'S THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH SO WALKS AROUND ALL RECESS & LUNCH BY HIMSELF (IT HURTS SO BAD AS HIS MOTHER TO THINK THAT HE IS SOOO ALONE!!) HE WON'T TALK TO MY ABOUT HIS FEELINGS AT ALL, HE ALSO WON'T LET ME TOUCH HIM (WHICH WE'RE NOT SURE IF IT'S HIS SID) AGAIN SO SAD AS HIS MOM NOT TO BE ABLE TO CONSOLE HIM WHEN HE'S UPSET OR HURT, HE WILL ACTUALLY HIT ME IF I TRY TO HUG HIM IF HE'S UPSET! SORRY TO DRAG ON LIKE THIS BUT I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS, THANK YOU ALL FOR LISTENING,ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    VALERIE

Default Re: New To The Forum

Hello Valerie,

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you have found the Forum and we'll be pleased to discuss all your questions and concerns.

Feel free to look through the various Forum sections and post a reply or querry on any existing discussion or start one of your own.

It would help if you would use lowercase when posting on the Forum, because UPPER CASE is surprisingly more difficult to read, and is considered as cyber shouting.

Looking forward to your participation on the Forum.
    Last edited by Steve; January 27, 2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spell

Sorry Steve i didn't realize that !

No problem, Valerie! Online work is a continual learning process that never ends :eek: ;)

Glad to have you aboard

Hi Valerie

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find it helpful.

The rage attacks are very difficult for the family to deal with and scary. My son who is 12 now used to have rage attacks quite often. He rarely does now.

In our case we had a long conversation with him (in a calm moment) about his rage and how it affected everyone. We let him know that we would not speak to him when he was in that state and he needed to remove himself to his room and calm down before we would discuss what had upset him.

We also identified together what helps him to calm down. In his case it was listening to music. We further advised him that he would be responsible for anything he broke while in a rage.

We never let a rage stop us from giving consequences when they are warranted. Rages were often triggered when he did not like a consequence we were giving him. If he needs consequences we give them AFTER the rage is over. He readily accepts consequences and understands why he needs them after the storm. We did not consequence for the actual rage though other than the natural consequence of needing to replace anything he broke and having him do something nice for us if he had been disrespectful.

Another thing we discussed with him is cueing him when we know a rage is imminent. They key here is catching him BEFORE the rage begins. We found once it started there was nothing we could do to stop it. We agreed together that we would cue him to remove himself to calm down with a code word he chose.

Unless he is at risk of harming himself or others we do not interfere with a rage. We let it play out. If he won't remove himself we remove ourselves.

He has on one occaision picked up a knife. We know keep all knives out of his reach as we know that he will impulsively grab whatever is in reach while in a rage. He knows where they are and could if he wanted to climb on the counter to get them but he has never done that.

We made it very clear that if his behaviour continued to be dangerous to himself or others we would have no choice but to remove him from the home for treatment. That seemed to be the turning point for him. He has not had a serious rage in a couple of years now.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy has helped us and him with all kinds of issues including rage. Your doctor should be able to point you to a therapist if you want to try that.

There is also medication that you can try and again your doctor can help you with that. You need to weigh the pros and cons with your doctor. It is a very personal decision.

In our case we used risperadal for a few years until the side effects became too much (weight gain). Sometimes medication will help the child get through a difficult time until he learns how to deal with his rage through therapy.

The combination of medication and therapy worked well for us and our son no longer takes medication for rage.

Hope this helps.

Hi Patty thank you for writting me back, I am going to look into the behaviour therapy. I have tryied to talk to him after these storms but he will not talk about it or even that it happened. i am wondering if anyone knows can hitting be a tic?, he hits all the time even when he's not angry. His school sofar is very supporting but i cant help but worry about him at recess & lunch walking around alone ( he has asked the on-duty lunch teachers for bathroom passes but they wont give them to him i personally think he needs this time to have away out of dealing with being alone. if anyone has any suggestions it would be great to hear. thank you all for listening! valerie

Hi Valerie,

I am new here too. Have you asked his teachers as to whether he has any friends or not? My son used to say the same thing all the time and I felt just like you did, but it turns out according to the teachers he did have friends. If something didn't go well that day though, he would say that.

Jays' (my son) teachers are aware of his Tourettes and they have an agreement that if he gets fidgety or talkative he is allowed to leave the classroom to move around for a break. Originally we all thought it was the ADHD, but realized after getting him on the right meds for that and it was still happening, that it was the Tourettes. It seems to help and he is actually starting to become aware himself when it starts to happen.

He used to have rages too and could never remember what happened during them. I don't miss those days of flying chairs, safety gates....

How old is your son?

hi tj'smum
    our son is 8 years old. Not a happy boy, I can only hope that with the new med's we are trying that he can actually be happy sometimes. it's so hard to be around him he is very negitive, arguementative,literal. I'm sorry to say all this, it doesnt sound very good a mother talking about her son that way but it has been a very difficult year with him.
    anyway if anyone out there has any ideas on how i can help our son with his low self-esteem & turn his negitives into postitives it would be greatly apprieciated thank you all valerie

Smile Re: New To The Forum

Welcome to the tsfc forums.

Valerie,

if anyone out there has any ideas on how i can help our son with his low self-esteem & turn his negitives into postitives it would be greatly apprieciated
    Is it possible that well meaning family members, friends or teachers may have reprimanded your son for his tics and his Tourette associated behaviours?

At eight years old, he may not fully understand the involuntary nature of his Tourette, and the well meaning reprimands or requests to "stop the bad habits" may certainly have a damaging effect on his self esteem.

You may wish to consult a child psychologist for some effective strategies to reinforce his positive behaviours to build up his self confidence.

You may also want to rehearse some explanations about Tourette using role playing with your son. If he is equipped with a prepared explanation of his Tourette and the involuntary nature of his disorder, he will be better prepared to face people who challenge him in his daily life.

Does he have an understanding teacher at school?