Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Red face New here

Hmm guess ill try to make this as quick as possible... I'm 19 yrs old, i've had TS since i was 7, along with OCD, ADHD. My main tics are, eye blinking, neck jerking, Shaking my head, stretching my jaw, holding my breathe sucking my stomach in. Thoes are the main ones, Also my hands have to always be moving. When im holding the mouse it takes me forever to scroll threw a page because i always need to keep right clicking the mouse. My life with TS has been hard. I got diagnosed at 7 and nobody in my family has it so no one knew anything about it. I got put on meds right away because i was pretty severe. As of right now i am off the meds, but im not doing to god with it i will probably need it again. School was really hard for me, making friends was hard. At the time i was in private school. I wound up getting held back in 3rd grade, because of my learning disability school was especially hard. The school i was in made me transfer, they couldnt take the time to work with me. So i wound up in public school. That was better i got more help.

I have never looked as having TS as a bad thing but it certainly caused a lot. Most of my tics cause pain. I suffer from migraines and my head shaking doesnt help that any. When i was bout 8 or 9 i was in therapy for my TS and they brought up camp. So for about 3 yrs straight i would do away to camp for 2 weeks every summer. It was a camp for children with different needs, Everyone there was on some kinda medicine for some reason, So that was cool to meet new people with different disabilities.

One of my main hobbies, if my name didnt give it away lol is writing. I write all the time, i love it to me its the best thing in the world. Ive made finals in contests, also was asked to go to Washington D.C to read my work for people. Never got to go my mom wouldnt let me. I'm possibly thinking about going to college for journalism, only as a minor though, so it wont be my main job, i love writing, but i love medical stuff just as much, so i want to major in nursing or something alone thoes lines.

Sorry i always ramble on lol. Anyway im glad to be here. Hope to meet some people going threw the same things.

Jessica-

Default Re: New here

Welcome to the forum Jessica!

Feel free to browse the postings and add to whatever you choose. It is always nice to hear another perspective.

You may also want to check out the teen section. There are a few older teens there you might find a connection with as well as some younger teens who I am sure would benefit from your input.

I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Smile Re: New here

Hello Jessica and welcome to the TSFC Forum. You sound like you have managed quite well with your Tourette, despite it challenges.

There are some very effective treatments for migraine which actually abort the migraine attack as soon as you feel it coming on. You may wish to speak to your doctor about the class of migraine medications referred to as "triptans". There are several choices on the market in this class of meds.

Have a look at this forum posting on migraines.

Hope you find the Forum helpful and interesting.

Thank you for the welcome im happy to be here

My migraines started when i was 14, i have been on many meds for it. I am currently on 2. Its been really hard to find meds because everything i went on made me tics worse, but right now they are pretty much under control. I have had 2 MRI's they found a pineal (not sure of the spelling) cyst on my brain but my dr said its nothing to worry about. Although i do get MRI's every so often to make sure it hasn't gotten bigger, but right now the meds i am on are doing pretty good. Its a lot harder though when i go into a migraine and i'm trying to lay down an rest, my head is always moving so its just making it worse but im getting threw them.

Jessica

Welcome Jessica!

I am glad you found us and hope the information on the forum is of help.

Migraines are very painful and it is good your physician is keeping a close watch over you. Have they determined what kind you have?

We have another writer on this forum too. You will find some of his work in "across the fence" section.

I hope you can join in on topics and make your own. If you need some assistance navigating around the forum please let us know.

Take care
    PJK

Thank You PJK glad to be here

I'm sorry but im not understanding what you ment, maybe its just not clicking in. Have they determined what kind of what i have? lol Sorry its not clicking in with me. If you were taking about the Migraines i'm not sure what kind i have lol. Sorry somethings take longer 2 click in my head.

Jessica

Its alright Jessica and yes that was what I was asking.

I have them too and never realized there were different kinds until it was explained to me. It takes time to find the right medication and the balance you need with other medical conditions.
    PJK

Hmm intresting, i never knew there were differnt kinds, I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Jessica

Hi Jessica

Glad you discovered our forum. There are so many people who log in regularly and are all very willing to share their experiences.

hope we'll see lots of you
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Welcome, its nice to see someone else here that is college age. I'm glad to hear that you are considering taking classes on writing, and maybe getting a nursing degree. I'm currently working on my degree in special education, and I never let my TS stop me from pursuing my dreams, you shouldn't either.

And if you ever do decide to come to DC look me up, I'm just a hop and skip away at the University of Maryland.
    TS and Chorn's disease, two diseases triggered by stress. Why am I going into special education one of the most stressful professions out there?