Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: educational testing

Unhappy educational testing

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have posted. Mason went for Phychoeducational testing and the results were not great as far as I can understand. I have really no idea what it all means but it does not look good! Mason has an Full Scale IQ of 81 which is 21 percentile rank. From what I understand that a percentile rank of 25-75 is concidered normal. His academic achievement results were all below average and borderline. With the worst being in Listening comprehension, mathematics, written language, oral language, written expression and numerical operations. These were all in the borderline range. It also stated he had Dysnomic problems. Basically working memory, attention, spacial reasoning, comprhension etc seem to be affected. It also stated there was a 12 point difference in his IQ and most of his academic achievement. Does any one know what all of this means? I have no Idea what to do next. He was diagnosed with a learning disability. Mason was diagnosed with Tourette Disorder, OCD and ADHD when he was 5. Mason is now 8 years old. I have faxed a copy of his report to his doctor and to the school but I have yet to hear back.

Thanks for your help and support

Sara
    Sara

Default Re: educational testing

Well, i dont really undertstand all the IQ stuff, but when i got tested i was welll below average. I didnt understand much of anything. But i started getting extra help in school and tutoring which boosted me up a little. Tutoring helped me the most, i had a private tutor if its needed you can consider that for your son. I always needed extra help and it did help a great deal. Sorry i dont really understand the whole IQ and scores and stuff, but there are ways to help him threw that.

Jessica

Hi, Sara:
    I would ask for an appointment to meet with the person who did the psychoeducational testing. It's part of their job to explain the results to you and to point you to resources within the system! They should earn the large fee they no doubt charge. Insist on being fully briefed on the results and their ramifications for your child, no matter how much resistance you meet. Let us know what happens!

While I can't say for certain what your score mean without having administered the test or having the scores in front of me, that and I'm still studying special education myself, I do have some experience interpreting results of test like this. It sounds like from what you described that your son has basic problems with math and auditory processing. While the score you described is low, you most likely shouldn't be too worried as these numbers tend to change over time, usually for the better. Additionally you can't always trust the scores on these normative test.

What you need to do now is take these scores to the school and ask them to set up an IEP working on goals in the areas that he was weakest on the test. You need to push now, you have the law on your side now, now that you have these test scores and diagnosis. Good luck working the system.
    TS and Chorn's disease, two diseases triggered by stress. Why am I going into special education one of the most stressful professions out there?

Smile Re: educational testing

Hi there,

I recieved a call from Mason's Pediatrician last night. He told me that there is a lot we can do to help Mason reach his potential. He is going to change Mason's medication, currently he is on 40mg of Strattera but that is not obviously working for the ADHD, which was apparent through the testing. He is adding concerta and keeping him on the Strattera. The strattera works well for minimizing the tics and anxiety as well as depression, but Mason needs someting for the adhd symptoms. Hopefully this combo will work. We have tried Strattera and adderall but it was not a great mix for him. I am picking up the perscription for Concerta today.

I had a bit of an emptional breakdown at Mason's hockey practice today. I was watching the other kids skate circles around Mason. Then I looked over at him skating and he was laughing and having a great time. He loves Hockey so much! I then realized that my child is having fun and that is what truly matters. When he got off the ice he said to me "Did you see me Mom? I skated like the wind!" I smiled at him and replied "You sure did!". It made me so happy and made me realize that what is important is how he feels and he thinks he is a great hockey player. The rest of the team gave him a pat on the back and told him he was amazing today. They do not know his issues, and they were so good to him, even though he struggles so much with keeping up.

Anyway, I am feeling much better today.

Thank you for being so supportive....

Sara
    Sara

Sara:

It sounds like you are aimed in the right direction and I understand the overwhelming feeling you must have experienced. That inability to "fix" things hits home with us mom's and wanting our child to live their lives the fullest like so many other children do.

You have been given some good advice on the forum to your concerns.

The IQ part of the test will vary depending on the day, how well Mason felt, anxiety levels or just plain lack of focus.

The test gives you and over all view of concerns and breaks them down so each can be tackled. Having the Doctor focus on the ADHD will help raise attention span, short term memory and function.

Mathematics is pure processing and often the information or thought trying to be processed is abruptly dropped in ADHD like a link on the website being lost. The oral language can be the same way as the thought process just crashes and the path is not clear to complete the thought. Fine motor skills could be the written and you have to expect these concerns with the diagnosis you are living with.

All of the above can be improved with EA, OT, medication and using a computer for writing skills.
    The hockey is a great thing to love and being on the ice. Focus on things Mason enjoys in life and fill his life full or accomplishments.

Don't be so concerned about the IQ part of the test. In time Mason will become more able to process information, at least complete short tasks and learn.

I am sharing what I have learned about my own situation not providing any kind of formal or professional response to your concern.
    My own son has many of the same concerns as Mason yet his IQ is 140.

If you get the Doctor on board, have him recommend the OT, EA for your son and get the school to break the information down for you to improve Mason's life things will improve. I'd make an appointment to meet the principal, special studies person on site and if possible pull in a social worker that is assigned to that school. This will assure both emotional and academic concerns are covered.

Don't feel bad about having that sinking feeling after the experience you had. I think we all go through this initially when jumping these hurdles. We all want the best for our children but you must stay focused on getting the system to work for you.

I would also make an appointment with your Doctor early on within four days of the start of Concerta so that you can give him an update on Mason's progress and response to the new med. It can be a balancing act to find the right dose of any medication.

You could also ask him about a mood stabilizer that helps thought processing if applicable.

My own son has been recently put on one that is making a great improvement. He suffered from short term memory loss due to his condition and the cocktail of med's he has been on in the past.

Try getting Mason to use matching games, memory games to build his processing ability. These have worked in the past for us. Most are computerized. There are some board games you could play too as a family on the market.

We make family time this way. The more you work it (brain) the clearer it becomes.

Take care and please keep us informed of your progress.
    PJK

Hi Sara

Are you sure you don't have my son who just turned 9 last week living in your house??

Does any one know what all of this means? I have no Idea what to do next. He was diagnosed with a learning disability. Mason was diagnosed with Tourette Disorder, OCD and ADHD when he was 5. Mason is now 8 years old. I have faxed a copy of his report to his doctor and to the school but I have yet to hear back.
    My son presents with a difficulties in all the same areas through the testing that was done. His scores are is not consistent with his ability either and the tester- who was the guidance counsellor- diagnosed a learning disability. But this is often too general and really should be analyzed further so you know what you are dealing with. If you can I would next get him in to see a psychologist who can do a further assessment or take the testing that was completed and really examine the results. My son was later diagnosed with Dyslexia because his scores were in the 1 percentile in several areas and this is reflective of a severe learning disability in reading.

It is normal to feel anxious about all this because managing an LD in addition to TSplus is much more stressful as a parent than managing a child with TSplus. My experiences with my oldest were so much easier now that I have this experience under my belt too. Hindsight is 20/20.

As kids progress through school they need to have the continued support, so the more specific diagnosis you can get the better it will be to get the supports needed.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I have to ask: were accommodations provided for his TS+? In the US, appropriate accommodations are protected under federal law. If the test givers did not know about or ignored his TS+ when they gave him an IQ test, it could lower his score by a couple of standard deviations easily, depending on the severity of his symptoms, especially the ADHD and OCD.

Percentiles mean the % of the population in question (which should be kids the same age) that the child did better than. That's a hard sentence to swallow; let me try again. The 21st percentile means your child did better than 21% of the population measured. There is no such thing as 100th percentile.

IQ is measured in chunks of 15 points, called standard deviations. The middle is 100. Period. 85-115 is "Normal". 64% (give or take) of the population is in this range. (For those of you interested, try Google-ing for the terms "Bell Curve" and "IQ".) The standard deviation ranges used to have names that should sound familiar: "Moron", "Idiot", "Genius".

So? Well, from my experience working in Special Education, a Learning Disability can be defined as a deficit in one or more specific learning areas (and there are a bunch) that is greater than or equal to one standard deviation (15 points). So, if your child has an IQ of 115 overall, then an IQ of 100 or less in a specific area is a Learning Disability.

Learning Disabilities are comorbid with TS+. I say "+" because they come with ADHD a LOT. I have at least two LDs myself. Yippee kai, eh?

But I am not convinced that the child got a fair shake. I would talk to the testors and see if they made any accommodations for the TS+. Testing for reading comprehension MUST take into consideration when you can't hold your head still. And timed tests MUST take into consideration the affects of OCD and ADHD. I know there are ways to do this. My mother and her firm get accurate IQs for kids with ADHD & OCD on a regular basis.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger