Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Had a bad morning

Default Had a bad morning

This morning it had snowed and was cold again and the kids had to wear their winter snowsuits.

My son who is 10 with TS had a meltdown, bawling, in hysterics because he could not find his mitts. Me being rushed and knowing that his mitts he wore all winter are on the verge of garbage, all chewed up etc, told him to just wear any mitts. This added fuel to the fire and he completely lost it. I had to get the other two to school so I sent him to his room to calm down and told him I'd be right back.

Once out of the house I had a brainwave... these are his TS mitts... he has had them all winter, chewed them up.. they look atrocious but they are his special mitts, and in hindsight I understood why they were so special to him. I popped into the school and the teacher understood, told me that if he wanted to join them later to feel free to drop him off. I felt better until.... she also told me that she doesn't want to go ahead with the presentation on TS, OCD, ADHD, ADD etc because it would single him out and the boys in the class are really cruel. I don't know what to make of that, I just feel there's not a lot of cooperation from the school, and in all honesty I really want to educate her more than the kids about TS. But that's a whole other story.

Once I got back home I went to my son's room and apologized to him. I told him I understood why he needed his mitts, and suggested we look for them together. I ended up finding them in his back pack in a zipper part he doesn't usually use. He was relieved I had found them and like magic his whole demeanor changed. We spent the next hour and a half working on a report he's doing for school, and now he's off coloring.

Now to figure out what to do with the teacher -- she actually told me, after I gave him a list of my son's tics, that she doesn't really notice them and that there's other kids who have habits too such as nail biting or chewing on their lips. I feel like she doesn't understand TS. I've got the email of the nearest TSFC contact rep and I'm going to get in touch with her. Hopefully she will be able to help me. What I want to know is, do I push the school to educate the teachers and students, or will that draw too much negative attention to my son? Do I just leave it alone, but make sure my son is not bullied or ignored when it comes to his TS? I feel everyday is a struggle with no answers just questions.

If there is anyone on here in the Weyburn, SK area I'd love to chat, pm me for my email address.
    "In Total Darkness We Are All The Same"

Default Re: Had a bad morning

I have thought about doing a presentation about my son's Tourettes (he'll be 10 tomorrow) but I came to the same decision as your teacher. Kids can be very cruel and although they may listen and be very caring while you are there, who knows what they would do with this new information when faced alone with him. There are only a few who have noticed and only one child (a girl who has a crush on him) who the teacher had to talk to about teasing him. For the most part though, my son either hides them or doesn't have them to the same extreme as he does at home. So why bring the attention that isn't actually there.
    I do think that the teacher should be more aware, that's for sure. My son's teacher has actually learnt since we found out he has Tourettes that some of his behaviors are out of his control completely and is more understanding.
    It's such a tough call

Thanks for your input. Any suggestions on education just the teacher? I think once my membership info arrives in the mail I'll buy her the book Understanding TS for educators.
    "In Total Darkness We Are All The Same"

Any suggestions on education just the teacher?
    In-services can be done for just the staff. They can be set up for the full staff of the school, or for a small group of the staff that actually deal with the student.

When I set up in-services for school staff I encourage them to have it as part of a staff meeting. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first is that if you child is going to be in the school for a couple of years this starts the process of educating some of the teachers your child may have in the future. The second reason is that it is very likely in a moderate to large-sized school that there are other children in the school with TS. I have done several in-services where a teachers have recognized the symptoms and behaviours from seeing it in students in their class (many of them undiagnosed).

Additionally, because of the nature of TS, an in-service usually covers ADHD, OCD and some of the other associated disorders. It is usually easier to get a school to agree to a presentation when they see that they will be finding out more than just information on TS. You may find it easier to get the principal or teacher to agree to an in-service if you have the in-service presenter contact them and explain what is in the presentation.

In addition to having an in-service another way to educate teachers is by using the Educator's Resource Kit. The kit contains a video, the Handbook for Educators and a workbook. One teacher, or a group of teachers, can work through the video and workbook on their own.

Providing the teacher with the book Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators is also a good way to start educating teachers. Some parents find it very beneficial to highlight some of the passages that apply to their child.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

My son's class watched the DVD "I have Tourettes..." even though he is not at school yet (are currently home-schooling hoping to get him back part time soon) and the class loved it what ended up being what was suppose to be a short discussion turned into a full session, talking about all sorts of disabilities. It was really positive for us. I think educating the teachers is so important.

Cheers Jaxx (New Zealand)

Teaching the Tiger is not so bad...

And I'm not saying that just because I'm on the cover. I'm the orange one with stripes.

http://www.hopepress.com/html/teaching_the_tiger.html

It was written with parents and teachers in mind.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

If I was still a moderator here, I would delete your shameless plug.
    Colin

Hippygal

I often use that video and find it very powerful.