Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Summer Camp???

Default Summer Camp???

Hi Everyone:

I am one of the relatively new parents on the site. I have an 11 year old boy who has had multiple different diagnoses. The most recent two diagnoses both indicate that Tourette's is probable. We are waiting to get into the Complex Neuropsychiatric Unit at the Glenrose to hopefully get a more definitive diagnosis to work with. My son has tics plus is defiant at times.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a summer camp near the Edmonton area that would be appropriate for my son?!

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jenny

Post Re: Summer Camp???

Hi Jenny,

Have a look at this Forum posting

http://www.tourettesyndrome.ca/forum...ead.php?t=3986

which contains information on camps for children with specialized needs .

None near Edmonton, though

Default Re: Summer Camp???

Hi Jenny!

It may seem early to start thinking about summer camps but you are smart to be on top of things this early. Spots fill up quickly especially for special needs kids. I too am from the Edmonton area and have a 13 year old son with TS Plus.

If your child is anything like mine a "regular" camp or day camp may not be a good fit. We have found that camps that are more focused on a specific activity and do not have many transitions throughout the day work best for our son.

You may want to investigate the Telus World of Science. They offer several different day camps that are very focused and welcome special needs children.

If you are looking for an overnight camp you may want to look at The Centre for Outdoor Education in Nordegg. Here is a link to their site: http://www.coe.ca/

Both of these we have tried and experienced success with.

The TSFC Edmonton Chapter does also sponsor camps from time to time. Last summer we funded a social skills day camp for TS kids that ran for three weeks.

I have included a link to the Edmonton Chapter website where you can get further information as to the chapter's activities. We hold support groups on the first Wednesday of the month and there is a family swim and pot luck coming up on May 5th at Grant McEwan you may be interested in.

http://www3.telus.net/public/breno62...pter/index.htm

Default Re: Summer Camp???

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hi Everyone:

I am one of the relatively new parents on the site. I have an 11 year old boy who has had multiple different diagnoses. The most recent two diagnoses both indicate that Tourette's is probable. We are waiting to get into the Complex Neuropsychiatric Unit at the Glenrose to hopefully get a more definitive diagnosis to work with. My son has tics plus is defiant at times.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a summer camp near the Edmonton area that would be appropriate for my son?!

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jenny
    I do not live in the Edmonton area but I can tell you that this website is a good place to start. You could probably call the TSFC hotline (1-800-361-3120) and they could probably direct you toward a good summer camp, or could at least direct you to your local TS chapter. Google is your friend, so you could probably use it as well to direct you in your search, as with anything you search for, you never knw what you can expect!

Good luck;)
    Last edited by sdman; July 22, 2007 at 07:41 PM.