Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grinding Teeth

Default Grinding Teeth

One of my worst tics is grinding my teeth. Not just a little. I mean reaching my jaw all the way over to the left, under the upper teeth on the left side, then pressing down and bringing your jaw back in place. Of coarse this isn't the greatest thing to do for your teeth, so to all of you grinders out there I've got a solution. Football mouthguards.
    Also, if you just scratch your teeth together a little bit because it makes that scratchy feeling, try eating bread. It makes the teeth smooth. If there's no bread, try firmly biting down on fabric(best with seat belts) and quickly moving the fabric side to side like your generating heat and starting a fire in your mouth. It'll hurt for a second, feel a little hot, then your teeth will feel smooth and slick against each other and won't be scratchy.

Default Re: Grinding Teeth

I also grind my teeth but it is in my sleep so I have a bite guard to protect my teeth. It's a reaction to stress I have been told and because I do this it damages, as you said, my teeth. If you were to do this while awake you would also be able to feel the tention it creates at the temples of your head. This grinding and clenching can also be a cause of headaches especially if you wake in the morning with one.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I've also always grinded my teeth at night while sleeping. During my most recent visit to the dentist, she pointed out how my teeth have worn away to form a 'mold' where the grinding occurs. She said I should be ok for now but a night mouth guard might be the answer. They're over two thousand dollars apparently and I just can't affod it. As for my teeth grinding tic, that's a different story. It started about a year or so ago and is the tic I use when I'm around people. Not the best thing for my teeth but it's not an obvious or really loud tic that attracts attention so I don't mind it. The only time it really irks me is if it continues for more than a few minutes...a terrible headache and jawache always follows. I've tried to re-direct it but it's so very satisfying that I can't!!! HA HA HA. I sometimes put fabric in my mouth too...bite on something to stop it but it's not really the best solution for me.

--Kelly

It's good that you've found some solutions though ... although it's not ideal sometimes you need to be innovative to find a tolerable way to deal with it.
    Colin

Hi Kel,

$2000 doesn't sound right to me. You may want to try seeing another dentist. I too grind my teeth at night and my dentist has several times recommended that I get a night guard. I haven't as of yet but I believe he told me to get a customized one for my mouth it would be about $300.

Kel:

I purchased a sports mouth guard that you heat in water and then it forms around you teeth. They are relatively inexpensive.

Our dentist charged $35 for the other one we lost and he did practically the same thing. Your dentist may be referring to the ones that they make a mold for in the office and then send off for. We only spent $350 for the mold & $125 for the guard.

Can you tell we have a lot of family members with the same problem?

I'd do some shopping around if I were you.

Take care.
    PJK

I grind my teeth in my sleep, and because of this have had tooth damage. I have gotten it all fixed, but I continue to have issues anyways. I have done it so hard before, that I was able to feel the pain in my dream. I never thought about the mouth guard, but I am going to consult my dentist about getting one tomorrow. Another thing I do while asleep is bite my teeth together repeatedly. I used to do this when I was awake, too, but I was was able to stop myself from doing it. Great forum!

Quote Originally Posted by trperren View Post
    I grind my teeth in my sleep, and because of this have had tooth damage. I have gotten it all fixed, but I continue to have issues anyways. I have done it so hard before, that I was able to feel the pain in my dream. I never thought about the mouth guard, but I am going to consult my dentist about getting one tomorrow. Another thing I do while asleep is bite my teeth together repeatedly. I used to do this when I was awake, too, but I was was able to stop myself from doing it. Great forum!
    I think I grind my teeth at times but not enough to cause any damage thankfully.

Welcome to the forum.