Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I am new to all this!!!!

Default I am new to all this!!!!

Hi everyone!!! My name is Crystal and I am a mother of 2 boys: 7 and 4. My 7 year old: Chase, was just diagnosed with: TS, Anxiety Disorder, ADD, and learning comprehension problems. We learned this after a 2 day assessment by 4 different professionals that all agreed on the diagnosis.

Last Sept he had a psychoeducational assessment done at school where the psychologist thought he had Asperger's Syndrome. When he went for this other assessment they did the ADOS test (some test to scale the Austism Spectrum) and Chase wasn't even on the spectrum.

Chase's tics are not that severe yet but I was told they can increase with age and then when he gets closer to adulthood that they might decrease. I have read a bit on TS but I am still at the learning stage. I would love to chat with other parents or even people with TS.

Default Re: I am new to all this!!!!

Hi Crystal, welcome to the forums!!

Seven years is about the starting point for a "textbook" case of Tourette's. Textbook cases usually start at 7, are worst for the first few years, and then level out or drop off between 17 and 21.

Not everyone follows those rules. My brother was diagnosed at 7 with TS/OCD/ADHD and is now a teenager, still with similar symptoms. As for myself, I had only mild tics as a kid, and never really noticed them. My TS became apparent when I was 20, and I was 21 when I was diagnosed.

So, you can't really plan when it will go away, or what will happen. All you can do is deal with the present, which is manageable.

It's really a great thing that you're here, and eager to learn. That's really the best thing for your son. Feel free to throw any questions up here, as there ar plenty of knowledgable and helpful people that can give you answers, or point you to them.
    Colin

Thanks!!! I am looking forward to chatting in here.
    CRYSTAL

from me.....

My son is 11 1/2 and he had very mild tics till about 12 months ago...... He also has ADHD, OCD, PDD-NOS still to decide if it is Aspergers..... I give up and like you I work on what is holding him back at the present time. He also has dyslexia.

But having said that his OCD monster has gone on vacation he told me, and his tics seem quite calm, and we have the near perfect med for his ADHD. We are on school holidays here so that has proberly helped but this week has been bliss.

Shame school starts next week, (even though he is doing correspondence) he finds it hard.

Welcome Chasesmon!

I am glad you found us. This a great place to find support as well as a lot of information.

Feel free to browse the forums and add to any thread you find of interest. This will sometimes spark new conversations in old topics as well as give fresh ideas and perspectives.