Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you have the first discussion about possible TS

Question How do you have the first discussion about possible TS

Hello everyone, I am a first time poster.

What is the best way to speak to someone about TS for this first time???

I believe that my Husband may have TS but I am afraid to bring it up to him. I have been noticing that he has tics (shaking his head, smelling his fingers repeatedly, making noises in his throat, repeating things under his breath while watching TV or a movie, chewing his fingers constantly) and lately many of his friends and some strangers have noticed his tics and have come to me to ask about it. He had some slight tics when I met him a few years ago, and this only really started to escalate recently to where other people are noticing it.

I am afraid of how he will react if I suggest that he see a doctor for diagnosis. He can be the kind of person that will react by stubbornly not doing something, even if it is the best for them, when you suggest he try something.

He is the love of my life and I am concerned that without seeing a doctor, this could get worse and begin to effect his work or other activities that he enjoys. I love him so much and want him to be fully informed and equipped with knowledge to able to deal with anything that might be going on.

I also wanted to mention that my husband is 28 and we have been married for one year. I will be by his side always through whatever may come.

Default Re: How do you have the first discussion about possible TS

Well, you know him better than I do so I don't know if I can offer something that will help. All I can suggest is being open and honest, and letting him know that you're just concerned about him.

For him to get help, though, he needs to be ready. You only need to get help when you feel, yourself, that your quality of life is diminished, and you want to do something about it. Perhaps you can talk to him about it, and if he doesn't want to do anything - sure. But the idea might be planted in his head and he'll reflect on it later when he's ready.
    Colin

My two cents...

I agree with cailean and have a couple things to add...

He might already know he is doing the various noises and does not want/ or might not think anyone is noticing them.

When you approach him he may get embarrassed about it and then get snippy or defensive and not want to talk. For me the embarrassment was huge whenever someone brought it up as I had no explanation for it.

I can only recommend you go slow. Being married will help a lot as he will know the question is from someone he trusts.

Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestions, they were great!
    I am wondering if gathering information about TS for him to read might be helpful also. I don't want him to already have a preconceived idea that TS is only what the movies and TV show it to be.
    Are there any suggestions about what he should know about TS first?

I think if you printed off the Q and A from this site would be a great start. Especially the diagnostic symptoms of Tourettes. You can find it here...

http://www.tourette.ca/qa.html

That in itself may be all he needs to finally understand the noises (if he has done them since childhood and knows he does them). However, if it does hit a chord with him, I would suggests getting clinically diagnosed so he knows for sure.

Overall, if he accepts if he does have Tourettes and does accept it the most important thing to know is that he is not the only one who does it.

Grrrrrrrrrr. I want to be able to edit my posts to correct my errors.:wacko:

Mrking

If you choose the "go advanced" button instead of "quick reply" when you reply to posts you will then have the option to select "preview post" and correct any errors at that time.