Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Med changes, possible inpatient tx etc...

Default Med changes, possible inpatient tx etc...

Hi all,
    Yesterday my son Matt 11,(Dx of Tourette's, OCD, ADHD) my husband and I had our second appointment with the Pediatric Psychiatrist. She has recommended that we see her once a month at this time, and will meet with other members of the Mental Health Team in between.
    Matt is VERY angry about these appointments as he says he feels that we think he is "weird". I have tried on several occasions to explain that we are seeing the doc to help him deal with his emotions and med's and that there is nothing "weird" about him. I am wondering if any of you might have had similar experiences and what you found helpful.

Also, the doc feels that Matt may be depressed (due to his irritability, anger aggression etc, not the typical sadness as seen in adults) and would like to begin treating him for this with Prozac. She is questioning the Dx of ADHD at this time.(as a nurse I am familiar with the med, but as a mother I am NOT able to be as objective I'm afraid!!) Has anyone else had any experience with this medication? Matt also takes Seroquel and Strattera, which the doc hopes to be able to discontinue at some point in time if possible.

She also suggested the possibility of a 30 day inpatient stay to be able to manage his meds and to provide him with more appropriate tx than on an outpatient basis. This has me feeling extremely anxious and overwhelmed! I have not discussed this with Matt and the doc spoke privately to us of course at this point in time. Again, is there anyone out there who might be able to offer their own experience with having their child hospitalized?

I had posted recently regarding the Token System we had just begun using. Just as an update the doc's feeling on this is that it may be causing my son too much frustartion and anxiety, a point which several of you brought out!

MJ

Default Re: Med changes, possible inpatient tx etc...

Hi MJ

I do not have any experience with the drug Prozac. I do however have experience with my child being hospitalized.

My son spent one month as an inpatient due to depression last year (grade 6). Depression often comes with TS for all the reasons your son has mentioned to you as well as some others like bullying.

I am curious does your son know he has TS? My son has never voiced the things your son has and certainly has never been unwilling to get treatment. My son also spent 4 months as an out patient in grade 4 (that decision was much easier to make as it was like he just went to school every day and came home like normal). Both times he was almost relieved to be going. He has always been able to understand that sometimes he needs help and/or more intensive treatment and accepts that.

I am unsure as to why he is so accepting of himself. It may be the way we have always presented his TS Plus to him. Right from the get go we talked about how different members of our family have different medical conditions (such as Asthma, Diabetes, endometriosis, heart attack, cancer, etc) and this was his condition. We have never made it seem like his "thing" was any different really than the other's "things". All of the different conditions needed treatment just as his did. The best thing we told him about his conditions was that he could never die from TS or OCD unlike some of the other conditions our family has dealt with and some have died from.

As for the month inpatient stay it wasn't all a bed of roses of course. It was the most difficult decsion I have ever had to make and was much harder on me than him I am sure. I found it difficult to get out of bed each day he was there. It was very very hard especially since he is my only child. There were times when he would ask to come home during our daily conversations and weekly visits or when he would ask to stay home after the weekends at home instead of returning to the hospital. During those times every part of me wanted to bring him home but we all understood that he needed the help.

He never did protest too much as he too can recognize when he needs extra help. He actually had a lot of fun while he there. In that environment all the kids accept each other for who they are. All of the kids there either had TS, OCD or depression.

Having said all this you have to do what is right for you and your family. As with any treatment decisions you will face along the way they all have their pros and cons. Some decisions are very hard to make. In our case my son tried to jump out his elementary school 2nd floor window as well as choke himself at home due to bullying issues. He begged me to end his life for him. I would never wish that on anyone but it did make our choices much more clear as it really was a matter of life and death for us.

Right from the get go we talked about how different members of our family have different medical conditions (such as Asthma, Diabetes, endometriosis, heart attack, cancer, etc) and this was his condition. We have never made it seem like his "thing" was any different really than the other's "things". All of the different conditions needed treatment just as his did. The best thing we told him about his conditions was that he could never die from TS or OCD unlike some of the other conditions our family has dealt with and some have died from.
    This has been the approach we have taken too and we have educated my sons' peers every year to ensure we got some understanding at an early age. I have not experienced the need to have my kids admitted but there are other parents here who have. I feel Patti has given some very sound and balanced advice especially since she has been in your shoes.

You know your child and family situation best. You need to think about his quality of life and what would be best for him in the long term as much as it may be difficult in the the short term.

I hope others who can relate specifically to this issue weigh in with their experiences.

please stay connected
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

MJ

I have been in your shoes and in our case the reactions to med changes have been severe and it would have been less stressful on the other family members to have been able to provided 24/7 care during the process in a controlled environment.

You have to take in consideration that everyone responds differently to medications when reading this and my own experiences don't necessary support what you can experience.

At about the same age my own son was on Seroquel and the dose was raised and lowered. Either way we saw more aggression as he aged and although it is considered a good drug it just was not the answer once he hit puberty.

Have you expressed your concerns about the Prozac to the physician?
    Did your physician explain why they were considering this medication?
    Are their any other medications that could be considered instead?

Has your son had anyone to talk too about his feelings or frustrations?

Our personal experience with Prozac was not successful & short lived and created more aggression or "flipping" they call it. The aftermath was long and my son had to deal with his response to the med change which was very hard for him to manage.

The change was put in place due to the physician seeing first hand the aggression & irritability heighten during our visit as it was directed to him.
    So it is always important your questions and doubts are resolved before approaching a change. Be informed.
    PJK

mom2TSguy, Janet and PJK,

Thanks to all of you for your posts!
    I am going to read over each of your posts again tonight as I find each of them contain such wonderful information and personal experience!!
    As a parent I believe strongly that we need to advocate for our children, as each of you have pointed out. I am going to think carefully about what is the best approach to take for Matt and move in that direction.
    We have been fortunate that the school guidance councelor makes time for him to visit with her and to talk about his feelings and frustrations. Matt is supposed to begin to see someone regularly from our Mental Health office. As I have coverage from work I may look into a private therapist as well, but I want to make sure it is someone who works well with children and is familiar with Tourette's, etc. We live in a very rural area, so services are limited.
    I too have made it a point to talk with Matt regarding people's different medical conditions. Right now he is not too open to what I have to say, but I take each opportunity when he is open and discuss it when he is calm. I am hoping he might be willing to watch the movie "I have Tourette's but it doesn't have me". I suggested it, but at this time he is not open to it.
    I am not aware of any other families in our area who have a child with Tourette's, and unfortunately there are no support groups in NB that I know of. (maybe I should start my own!;) ) Another reason I am so happy to have access to this group!
    Today was a rough one...but tonight Matt is feeling good and I am holding on to that and enjoying it greatly! Sometimes it's not one day at a time, but a minute at a time... That will work nicely for me tonight any way!;)
    I will keep posting and let you all know how things go.
    As Janet said, I need to look at the long term quality of life for my son.
    Thank you all!
    MJ