Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TS Diet?

Default TS Diet?

Not sure if maybe i missed it somewhere on here. Dont know if its been brought up. But i heard somewhere that a diet can help with your tics. Like certain foods to eat or not to eat. Is that really true if it is does anyone have any information on it?

Thank You

Jessica

Default Re: TS Diet?

Hi Jessica:

I have been following some of the debate about foods and tics over the past few years. I have read from some people who swear by it and others who have tried it and not found any difference.

One thing that makes sense to me is that if you are sensitive or mildly allergic to a certain food, you may find some decrease in the number of tics or the intensity of the tics if you remove that food from your diet. Since tics can increase under stress, it makes sense that a food sensitivity or allergy will stress the body and impact the tics. Most of the information I have seen on this is anecdotal, though. Sometimes there can be a 'placebo' effect as well -- you think things should be better because you are trying something new and for awhile they do seem to be better.

I do know that when my son had problems with environmental allergies (dust and pollens) his tics could increase exponentially. They decreased when the allergen decreased.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

I was just wondering the same thing...

I've recently read about a relation between yeast and TS but a lot of the stuff I see is gimicky. Does anyone have any experience with TS and adjusting their diets?

Any info would be appreciated. Still trying to find something that will manage the tics!

-Kelly

Kelly:

I just purchased a book called Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourettes. With everything, it is good to read it and consider the possibilities. I have tried reducing dairy with my son as recommended by the book but I can't say that it has changed the tics or symptoms at all. Some of the information seems to have been tested scientifically to a certain extent while some of the information seems based more on individual experiences.

There is also a website called Latitudes that looks at natural remedies for a variety of medical issues including Tourette. I have only looked at it briefly so far.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny - I'm going to check out both the site and the book.

Personal tips that I've used to avoid or suppress tics:

- Minimise caffeine intake.

- Turkey and whole wheat, I find, help.

Need to uncover more.

hi @ all !!!! i decided many years ago to live with a vegan and yeast-free nutrition and it helped to reduce my tics more than 50 %. caffeine make my tics worse. i don't need any meds at the moment.

there is not much research in this field: tourette's + nutrition ... or ???

anyway: i think, tourette is a cosmos, everybody has to find his/her -> own way to cope with it.

cheers
    tourcon
    Last edited by tourcon; May 7, 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    Personal tips that I've used to avoid or suppress tics:

- Minimise caffeine intake.

- Turkey and whole wheat, I find, help.

Need to uncover more.
    Turkey contains a chemical (not sure what it is) that is simmilar to dopamine. thats why it helps. its basicly a sedative. Caffeine really has an effect on my tics as well. I'm more likely to tic vocally after drinking a pop or a coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidanxfriesen View Post
    Turkey contains a chemical (not sure what it is) that is simmilar to dopamine. thats why it helps. its basicly a sedative. Caffeine really has an effect on my tics as well. I'm more likely to tic vocally after drinking a pop or a coffee.
    You're thinking of L-Tryptophan which is an amino acid that, among other things, is a precursor to serotonin (not dopamine but another important neurotransmitter).

Tryptophan is actually present in quite a number of foods: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan