Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: News article referring to antipsychotic drugs

Question News article referring to antipsychotic drugs

Hi
    I live in Dartmouth, NS. I read just yesterday in the DAILY NEWS that 94% of phyciatrists are prescribing adult antipsychotic drugs to children. Some of them listed were Respiderol and something that started with a ques...
    They said that these drugs have not been approved for use in children. Does anyone have any info on this?

Default Re: News article referring to antipsychotic drugs

They said that these drugs have not been approved for use in children. Does anyone have any info on this?
    Is the article you cite available online as a link, so we can see it?

Not knowing the point the article was trying to make, I'll comment on your question on the assumption the article is an example of lay media sensationalizing a medical story to gain attention and sell newspapers.

In medicine, it is a common practice for physicians to prescribe medications for indications not included in the official product monograph. This practice is referred to as "off label" prescription and is legal so long as the physician can justify the choice through sound clinical judgment and accepted medical standards.

The product monograph is the document a pharmaceutical manufacturer submits to the drug regulatory agency to document the chemistry, pharmacology and clinical trials of their medication.

Once approval is given, the medical community gains experience with the medication, and researchers test the medication for indications they feel might have potential.

These tests are reported, at first, anecdotally then later published as bona fide trials in peer reviewed medical journals.

It is from these publications and professional encounters among practitioners that new uses for existing medications are found.

When there is enough clinical evidence for a new indication, a manufacturer might submit a request to modify their monograph to include additional indications, based on clinical data.

In the meantime, the medical community has likely developed accepted standards and protocols for the use of these off label indications.

It is not unusual for product monographs to state the safety of the medication has not been established in certain populations, either by age, or by gender.

However through the process I outlined, these criteria are frequently overcome through peer reviewed testing.

Hi Steve,
    I do not have a link to this article and I'm unsure what it's intentions were. I don't want to scare anyone, but it did concern me a bit...
    Thanks for the clarification.

I understand the reasons for your concern, and though there have been cases of inappropriate prescribing, I believe these cases are the exception.

The vast majority of physicians are well trained and responsible professionals who use treatments that are based in science combined with their own clinical experience.

Without having the text of the article to refer to, we cannot draw any conclusions about the report.

However it is not unusual for the lay press to sensationalize medical information in order to draw attention to their newspaper or media outlet.

We don't know if this is the case here, but from past experience, we have seen this to be true.

I could justly be accused of seeing the lay press as being guilty until proven innocent on this issue. :Big Grin:

As a parent I am concerned about any medication that I give my son regardless of what "type" or "class" it is. I do trust my doctor which I think is the bottom line here.

Even with that trust I still research every medication that we discuss on my own before I make a decision. I have been accused (in humour of course) by my son's doctor of only letting him treat my son in handcuffs. :Big Grin: