Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: school support ideas

Default school support ideas

I was wondering what kids of supports or exceptions (untimed tests, and small out of classroom breaks ect...) that other parents have set up with the school to help their TS children. I'm a little confused and overwhelmed with the school system and find that if I tell the what my son needs that I can easily get it. The problem is that my son is very different at school compared to at home (I have sat and observed him at school) and he seems unable to communicate to me what areas he really struggles in. I really wish he could explain to me what is going on in his head so I can help him. Anyway... I just thought that maybe some of the supports you have in place might trigger some ideas in my son or myself.
    Thanks

Default Re: school support ideas

Are you concerned about his social challenges or his academic challenges? Are his grades in school reflective of his challenges or does he do well in all subject areas.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I am definately concerned about his social challenges. They playground has been aweful for him. It did get better at the end of the school year when the school understood how bad it really was. But the lack of supervision on the playground is huge. As for academically..... he has been holding his own until this year. Math is his best subject and he is still getting A+'s in math. But anything where he has to hand write what he is thinking he is getting worse at. This year they didn't grade him in science and language because of absentces due to a medical condition. (as his report card says) He struggles with getting his thoughts on paper. He is more than smart enough to do the work but he can't write it. Verbally I think he could. The thing is he can't explain why he can't get his thoughts on paper and I can't figure it out. I have been asking the school for help for 3 years now but because his marks were good they said he was fine. Now he is getting worse very fast and the school just put him on the list for a speech/language assessment. He lost his 3rd term in grade 5 and I don't want him to miss to much of grade 6. He loves his friends that he does have and I wouldn't want him to be left behind. Anyway... enough rambling... thanks for listening.

It sounds like some of the supports you need are not just for your son's Tourette Syndrome, but are also for possible learning disorders.

Difficulty with writing answers is a learning disability and accommodations for this include allowing verbal testing, use of computers, and modified testing.

Has your son had psycho-educational testing done? This testing identifies strengths and weaknesses in how people learn. Both my sons have had this testing and the psychologist who did the testing also recommended accommodations based on the results of the testing. One of my sons sounds similar to yours -- the school was unwilling to do much in the way of accommodation because he was doing well at school, but as he got up into the higher grades he needed the accommodation. It was was much easier to get those accommodations when we had the testing results on file.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

My oldest did well and still does well in school however by grade three and four his behaviors were interfering with his social relationships and his ability to get things finished in class. This is when his accommodations had to be put in place to help him cope in the classroom setting.

Don't worry about rambling... we TS moms do it all the time ;)

You may want to think about what would make the ideal setting for him in Sept. As soon as school starts you need to connect with the classroom teacher and make the them aware of what he needs.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Dear Isamoma5:

My 11 year old son (going in to Grade 7) sounds similar to your child. I bought a book from the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada called 'Handbook for Educators'. This book addresses issues in school, on the bus, on the playground and some ideas for possible modifications. I purchased the book since I was at a loss of what to do. Our son was just diagnosed in May 2007 and has had increasing difficulty managing in the school setting. I found the book to be an exceptional resource for myself and for the Individualized Program Plan that the school will need to provide for my son.

Jenny