Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tip for a successful camp experience

Default Tip for a successful camp experience

My 13 year old son is off to Cadet camp tommorrow for a 3 day trial period. If he is successful he will be able to go on the waiting list for a two week camp spot!

One of the leaders was over last night to brief our son on what to expect as well as go over strategies for him to use while at camp. She suggested that I create a card for him to hand out to his camp squadron leaders if he runs into any difficulties and needs a time out as he is not always successful when he attempts to explain that he needs to leave RIGHT NOW.

I thought her idea was excellent and wanted to share my card with everyone as it may be useful to others. It has two sides: one short and to the point explaining what needs to happen at that moment. The other side gives some info regarding TS.

Note: I have been trying to over an hour to somehow attach my file or convert it so that it could be posted here with no success. If anyone can help plese let me know and I will edit this post to include the card.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; October 1, 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: names

Default Re: Tip for a successful camp experience

Change can be a challenge and heighten anxieties and we too have experienced this with our own son.

We set him up for residential camp per his request, but realized very shortly on it was to much for him.
    We were fortunate that the team provided options to assure success.

He continued to attend daily instead and will be returning two more separate weeks over the next month.
    Finding outlets, strategies to reduce anxiety and finding balance when free time is not an option for him has made a big difference.

Reviewing what will happen, taking a tour in advance and planning ahead creates success for everyone involved.

Please let us know how your son's camp experience turned out.

Most of our other children went through the cadet program and enjoyed it very much.
    PJK

Thanks Patricia. As far as I know it went well. He had a great time. He says there was some bullying but he dealt with it in a good way. I have yet to hear from the admin people so don't know what their story is. When I picked him up the DCC office said he had not been sent to them and that is a good sign!

He had a great time and even got to go flying twice and shoot air rifles once. I didn't expect that he would get to do all that in such a short time. He arrived on Sun evening and I picked him up Tues after lunch.

Hopefully he will now be able to go on the 2 week camp. He is very keen on getting back there!

Hi Patti:

That is great news about your son! I hope he is able to go to the two week camp and that it also goes well.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Thanks Cathy!

And thank you again for all of your help in putting strategies for cadets together for me. If really helped and has made a real difference for him.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 week camp.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; October 1, 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: names

That's great news!

Our's is returning for two more one week programs.

I find keeping him busy over the summer helps start the school year on a better foot.
    It is nice to see them face life struggles with success.
    PJK