Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seeing a neurologist on Monday

Question Seeing a neurologist on Monday

So I'm seeing a neurologist on Monday, firstly YAY! :p secondly I wanted to know what usually happens on the first visit and if there are any questions that will be asked or that i should ask... i ask this because i'm not a fast thinker if i'm not prepared and will most likly leave something important out...

so you don't have to read my other posts, i'm 15, pretty sure i have TS (hence the posting in this forum about a neurologist), and i also think I may have ADD (this i'm less sure of but a lot of the signs are there, is ADD something neurologists deal with?)

I'm kind of unprepared so i don't know..

-Megg

Smile Re: Seeing a neurologist on Monday

Megg,

i'm not a fast thinker if i'm not prepared and will most likely leave something important out...
    The one thing that can help you in your interview with the neurologist is to begin making notes.

While you are at home and relaxed, keep a note pad handy and jot down questions and concerns as you think of them.

When you see the doctor, bring your note pad with you, and go through your list.

Also when the doctor tells you something, make notes as well.

If you are given a prescription, ask questions about the prescription:

• What is the name of the medication?
    • What does it do?
    • How long does it take to work, and when will I see some results with it?
    • What side effects should I look out for?
    • If I have side effects, can I call you?

If you are taking any medications now, either prescribed or over the counter such as cough and cold meds, stomach meds, skin meds, herbal preparations, make a detailed list. Your doctor needs to know because sometimes medications interact, so dosages have to be adjusted.

is ADD something neurologists deal with?
    If the neurologist has experience treating Tourette, s/he certainly would have experience with related (co-morbid) conditions such as ADD, ADHD and OCD.

Let your doctor know you have been doing some research, and that you have some understanding of Tourette from this Forum and your other resources.

That way the doctor will be prompted to have a more meaningful dialog with you.

Please keep us posted on your interview and its outcome.

If you have any other questions or concerns, let us know.

I know you will do well in your interview!

Default Re: Seeing a neurologist on Monday

I wanted to know what usually happens on the first visit and if there are any questions that will be asked
    Hi Megg

The first meeting with any new doctor especially one who is specialized in an area starts with getting history about you and your medical history. It is a great best practice to have everything you feel s/he may ask prepared on a note book or journal.

Record things about when the symptoms started and how long they lasted. If they waxed or waned. You may want to prepare answers to questions about your development as a baby and into childhood. I find these are the types of questions my son who is 15 gets asked. They like to rule out things through these types of questions. They also ask about other medical conditions so having info available about your parents or siblings is an asset too.

The main thing is to ensure you write down everything you need to ask. If you don't know the answers to the doctors questions it is ok to say you don't know, but it is not ok for the doctor to tell you s/he does not know unless they promise to find out and tell you by when.

I am sure you'll do fine. Are you going alone?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Thanks, both my parents went with me so they knew my history, but I wrote stuff down, my tics and questions I had and I think it went well.

I got a few blood tests done to check other things but she said it was probably TS, we didn't go too into detail about it just background, physical, tics in general but next time we'll probably get more on medications, OCD and ADD (both my parents have OCD like symptoms but not diagnosed and i also have some symptoms of it and ADD..)I guess

she did say it sounded like it was bad enough to need medication but like i said we'll probably talk about that more next time.

I'm glad your appointment went well. It sounds like you feel good about it and that is very important.

Please keep us posted.

sorry I've been a little distracted lately, but if you'd like to know, I was put on Clonidine, three 0.025 pills, three times a day. I started at one at night, but I've been on it for a while. It hasn't been too bad at all, my mouth gets pretty dry from time to time, feel a tiny bit tired or dizzy once in a blue moon. It doesn't stop them fully but unless I'm stressed it's not too bad.

I am glad the new medication is proving helpful to you for some of your symptoms. It can take time for meds to either start working or show that they will not work for you. It is a real trial and error process since not everyone responds to meds in the same way. Keeping a log will help your doctor determine what meds are right for you.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; November 5, 2007 at 02:41 AM.