Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: school seems to be ok

Default school seems to be ok

well my 5 year old daughter with TS has made it her first month of school. Her tics are still mild, and maybe even a little better. She only has only had a couple bad days lately. She is very active so she signed up to be on a cheerleading squad and that is going great. It seems that the more active she is, the better she does with her tics. Does this seem to be true with anyone else?? She is doing a tic right now where she nods her head as if saying no. Only one kid has asked her what she was doing and she told them that she was getting the hair out of her eyes. We have not really dicussed with her what is going on. When the tics first started I would ask her why she did it, very casually, i knew what it was because my brother has had TS all his life, and she simply said " because I want to and I can't help it, I just have to do it." I said OK! you know that was a good enough answer for me. How old were everyone else kid's when you explained to them what was wrong with them????

Default Re: school seems to be ok

well when I first started ticing my, parents just told me to stop because they did not understand at the time and they thought I did it on purpose so it was really hard for me I am now 15

Hi Mommy143

I am happy to hear that your daughter is making a good start to school.

My son was diagnosed after senior kindergarten. We explained TS to him fairly soon after the diagnosis. First we spent some time researching and figuring out what this was. Like many people, we only had the 'media' view of TS -- all swearing, outlandish behaviours, etc.

When people asked him about his tics, he would just answer with something like, 'oh, that's just my Tourette', or 'that's just my tics' -- very non-chalantly. He would then usually just go about his business, and most times none of the other kids would make any more of it.

This worked well for him, and when he got older he would explain a bit more about Tourette -- especially to adults who seemed to be 'put out' by his behaviour. He has alot of self-confidence when it comes to his Tourette -- he does not care if other people are annoyed by his tics because he knows he is not doing it on purpose. If he feels it is necessary, he will do some explaining, and has no qualms about approaching someone who seems to be responding negatively towards him and explaining Tourette.

I truly feel that he gained some of that confidence because we did explain to him at an early age about his TS. We explained in simple terms what it was when he was young and then added to the information when he was ready. We always emphasized that his tics and other behaviours were a result of his TS+ and that we knew that he was not doing the tics on purpose, or to annoy us and others.

We also found that staying active and having some physical activity helped to 'bleed off' the excess energy from his TS+. Your daughter's cheerleading is a great way to do that.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

I remember when I was taking a course in the summer I told the teacher about my tourettes and his was reply was that I don't and if I did i would be swearing a lot sooo ya I think thats the wrong interpretation

How old were everyone else kid's when you explained to them what was wrong with them????
    My oldest was diagnosed at 9 so we told him then and have been extremely open about it and then my second son started to present with symptoms and once we knew for sure it was TS we told him too, he was 7. When he started grade 2 I in-serviced his peers to start educating them as well. Both of my boys talk openly about having TS and many of the people they spend their time with are other families with kids who have TS. My second oldest assumes everyone has TS because of all the people we have been fortunate to become friends with. He doesn't know any different.

Like Cathy's son, my boys are ok with their symptoms and it is because it has never been a secret for us and we have no problem sharing it with whoever we meet.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Quote Originally Posted by mommy143 View Post
    How old were everyone else kid's when you explained to them what was wrong with them????
    Chase was diagnosed when he was 7 1/2. I tried to explain it to him but I don't think he gets it. I bought the book "HI I'M ADAM". His teacher has it right now.
    CRYSTAL

How did the kids in his class respond to the book Crystal?

I don't think she read it to them yet because other staff members are wanting to read it.
    CRYSTAL