Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Government Programs and Life

Default Government Programs and Life

Hi Fellow Parents:

I don't know if this is even an appropriate question to ask .... so I will ask and if people don't answer, I will know my answer.

I am currently looking at the Disability Tax Credit through Canada Revenue Agency and an FSCD contract through Children's Services, Alberta Government. I am having an ongoing dialogue in my head about whether I should do this or not, if it is worth it or not and do I want to admit to 'outside people' what is going on.

My nieghbours and co-workers know. Life this weekend was rough. Swearing, hitting, aggression (my 11 year old, not me:p). I had to restrain him because, for the second time this week, I was the target of the aggression. He was upset due to a comment made by a neighbourhood child. The response did not reflect the actual situation. He is very sad about it when he calms down but at the time, he appears to have lost all reason.

The Risperdal does not appear to be working well now that he is back in school. I had to pick him up on Friday from school because he would not follow any direction, threatened to take a knife and stab himself and 'could not be contained in any one location' (ie. ran erratically around the school).

Sorry that I have given two topics but, in my mind, they are intertwined.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jenny

Default Re: Government Programs and Life

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I am currently looking at the Disability Tax Credit through Canada Revenue Agency and an FSCD contract through Children's Services, Alberta Government. I am having an ongoing dialogue in my head about whether I should do this or not, if it is worth it or not and do I want to admit to 'outside people' what is going on.
    As far as the tax credit with Revenue Canada is concerned it is used like any other tax credit you would qualify for. It is so impersonal that it does not feel like you are "admitting to outside people" anything. It simply reduces the amount of tax you will need to pay. :Big Grin:

Family Support for Children with Disabilites (FSCD) is something you may qualify for if you live in Alberta and your child has a diagnosis. This program is not income based. The theory behind it is that families who have children with disabilites are under more stress and incur more expenses than "regular" families.

FSCD contracts are tailored specifically to your family's needs. It is not always about money. FSCD does help pay some expenses however they also help you to develop goals as well as a plan for your whole family. It is difficult for everyone when you have a special needs child.

FSCD can help you in many ways some of which are quite surprising. We just had our yearly meeting with FSCD last week and all of our goals this year center around my husband and I getting back to a more balanced life style. I was really taken by surprise when our social worker suggested this. In the past our contract discussions have always been about our son. It never even occured to me that my husband and I should be thinking about ourselves. :o

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The Risperdal does not appear to be working well now that he is back in school. I had to pick him up on Friday from school because he would not follow any direction, threatened to take a knife and stab himself and 'could not be contained in any one location' (ie. ran erratically around the school).
    Have you spoken to your son's doctor about the changes in behaviour since school started? Junior high can be a very difficult transition for our kids. Different teachers, changing classrooms, less supervision and more responsiblity is hard for all kids to get used to. For our kids it can really send their anxiety sky high.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; September 17, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Hi Jenny!

I was wondering does your son's school have a plan in place for times when he gets overwhelmed? I believe this is crucial for our kids and sometimes overlooked by the school. Two things that have worked for my son are:

1. Designate one adult in the school that your son can go to when he is having difficulty. Your son and the adult should talk about this before hand in a calm moment and come to an agreement as to how it will work.
    2. Designate a place where your child can go when he needs time to be alone. WHen he is feeling overwhelmed he should be able to go there without consequence to spend the time he needs to regroup so that he can rejoin the class.

Does this sound like something the school would be willing to implement?

I agree I used to need to do that and I would just work on homework that I had not done yet... I used to have trouble with homework

Dear Folks:

Thanks for the replies. We had built in a 'go to' person but guess what day they have off? Fridays. There have been two bad Fridays in a row. Today we have organized an alternate 'go to' person who my son knows as well. I am hoping that this works out.

Jenny