Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a problem with chatting

Default Does anyone have a problem with chatting

My son is 7 in grade two and was just diagnoised in April most of his Tics have waned but his teacher is saying that he is always chatting and I was wondering if anyone else has this as a Tic or OCD. It could just be the excitement of seeing all his friends again and should settle down but the teacher and principal are not being understanding or patience.
    Thanks for listening
    Denise

Default Re: Does anyone have a problem with chatting

My son is now 11 but when he was 7-9 he was always chatting or singing. His teachers during these years all had different approaches to this problem and the only thing that ever worked was putting him in a part of the room where his little noises didn't bother anyone. He would still sing or chat to no one in particular though. The worst strategy was punishing (surprise surprise!). Unfortunately we did not know Jacob had TS at this time so we did not have much support from some teachers and to be honest, we lost our patience frequently! It was confusing because Jacob was always pretty obedient in all other areas but he could not be quiet. Now, just letting his teachers know about TS seems to be enough as Jacob is better able to control that aspect of his condition now. I find that a little understanding goes a really long way. That was not very earth shattering, I know, but it seems to be the theme of our lives these days! Kristin

I do alot of in-services for the TSFC and I have had the issue of chatting come up several times. There seem to be two different issues that cause it.

The first is implusiveness -- if your child has TS+, especially including ADHD, this could be a factor. If your child has something to say, then he is probably going to say it. It is more difficult to learn to wait until the appropriate time to talk. And that leads into the second issue ....

The inability to recognize social cues. Many children with TS+ need to be explicitly taught the social cues that most children pick up naturally. When the teacher comes in and stands at the front of the room, that is the cue to quiet down and listen. If your son is not picking up on those cues, he will probably just keep on chatting.

You should ask the teacher for some more information and see if either (or both) of these apply. There are some strategies that you can help to teach your son and that the teacher can use in the classroom to help with both of these.

Has the teacher looked at Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators?
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Thank you Cathy this is exactly the info I was looking for my son does not have ADHD but has already shown that he does have a problem with social cues and impulsiveness, and I will get better understanding from the school with this info
    Thank You
    Denise

Hi Darbuckle

My son does not stop talking until he is asleep. He talks continually all day long to himself, others, the TV. He just does not stop. Sometimes he is asking incessant questions which is defintely OCD but other times he just has to give people information. He has always done what we call "muttering", talking very quietly to himself. A lot of the time this muttering is inappropriate. He says he "has to" talk. I am not sure if it is a compulsion or simply very poor impulse control.

I do know however that this really impacts on him socially. His peers do notice this and they do not like it.

Hi Darbuckle,

As someone who's in her mid twenties with TS and diagnosed young, I've ALWAYS been a chatty person. My Grade 1 teacher jokingly called me a "chatterbox" once and in my report card commented that I liked to talk. Ha ha.

As a personal goal, I've tried to curb my talking when possible. I try not to dominate conversations because with my enthusiasm over a topic, I can get excited and will talk at length about a topic. This can also cause me to interrupt and cut off people (something I don't like to do but still manage to do it from time-to-time).

Your son probably has MANY thoughts running around his head at one time and he just wants to share with others what he's thinking. It can be hard to hold back, but maybe if he tries to think about what he's going to say before he starts talking. Or even if he has a mental "pause" before he starts to talk about something.
    He's still pretty young though, so it may be hard for him to hold back (especially since I'm an adult and I still catch myself sometimes).

But it's also a good thing that he's such a great communicator! I'm in public relations and being able to "verbally communicate" is a key skill for me.

It is still early in the school year, so maybe he just needs more time to settle into his school routine.

To Virginia
    You sound just like me, I found out I have TS the same time my son did and I am in my 40's I seem to always fight the urge to monopolise conversations or to just jump in to other people's conversations. I wasn't sure if this was part of TS and when my son showed signs of the same thing I started to ask questions in order to help him better all of the responses are a definite help.
    Thanks
    Denise

Hi Denise

Like you I only discovered that I had TS through my son's diagnosis. I was 35 at the time. This happens quite often. Anyone who knows me also would share that I love to talk too... I would talk excessively and learned to self-manage my behavior. My hyperactivity often causes me to lose trend of thought mid-stream one of my chatty sessions as well as find myself irritated if people can't talk and listen as quick as I can. LOL.

It used to be blamed on the fact I am from NL but now it is quickly identified as a symptom of ADHD
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I've always had a problem with chatting and going into "great detail" when having a conversation. I got in alot of trouble in school for talking too much. I feel that I need to talk though, because I get very irritated when I start building thoughts in my head and can't tell anyone about them.

There's a bright side to being a chatterbox who goes into great detail when answering something and dominates the conversation... You'll always be great at debating :D. I learned to use it to my advanatage.

Great tip! I will have to encourage my son to join the debating team in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_b1988 View Post
    I've always had a problem with chatting and going into "great detail" when having a conversation. I got in alot of trouble in school for talking too much. I feel that I need to talk though, because I get very irritated when I start building thoughts in my head and can't tell anyone about them.
    This sounds exactly like my son. I often get the feeling that he has a "need" to talk. If we try and interrupt him or redirect him he absolutely has to finish telling us what he has started and is unable to stop until he has at least finished a particular thought.

WHen he discusses things, especially events that have happened he tells every single little minute detail which can sometiems become frustrating for the listener as the general story is often lost in all of the detail he describes.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; October 4, 2007 at 01:59 PM.