Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello everyone... My name is Justin and I'm from West Virginia. I'm 19 years old. I was only diagnosed with TS 4 years ago, but I've had it since I was about 5. For me, TS has been a part of my life. I've learned to deal with it but sometimes it interferes with things I do in daily life. Thought it interferes, I don't let it control what I do. I have complex motor ticks and simple phonic ticks. I have a number of ticks that I perform throughout the day. The most noticable ones of all are with my eyes, nose and neck. These really don't go well with driving. I love to drive and I couldn't live without it... I love to build and race cars. I've never caused an accident or even came close to causing one. The bad part about having TS is that the DMV told me that they don't allow people to attempt to get their license if they have it. So, to get my license I had to try extremely hard to supress my TS until they passed me.

Last night, while I was aching to have my account activated, I started reading alot of threads and learned more about my TS in one hour than I've learned from 45875372390824 neurologist visits. The unfortunate part for me is that the neurologist I've been seeing hasn't had alot of TS patients. Actually, I'm his very first, but he has been very helpful in doing his own research to help me. I've been on alot of the medicines that are offered to "help" with TS, but with no luck. I've been on clonidine, clonipin, zyprexa, orap, risperdol, haloperidol and a few others that I can't remember. I noticed that there are a few other disorders and syndromes here that are mentioned, one being OCD. I forget the other one that I saw. I've never been diagnosed with them but when reading about what they are, I noticed that I have alot of the symptoms for OCD that they mention.

Growing up, I got punished alot for "habbits" that I had. Those habbits happened to be tics that I was experiencing as a kid. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone for not knowing what I had but up util the age of 15, I had no idea what was wrong with me. I had heard of TS before, but I thought it was only associated with people abruptly blurting out cusswords. School was always an interesting thing for me. Some people understood and some didn't. I never had a problem making friends, because the people I befriended thought it was cool. There were times when people had the courage to taunt me. The reason i say they had the courage is because alot of people were afraid to even ask me about it. I'm no small guy because in school, I lifted weights and played sports. That basically stopped 90% of people from even approaching me, whether they were asking me about it or trying to taunt me about it. I've been in a few fights because of my TS, but for me, making a stand was more important than letting anyone get away with talking about me. Maybe I've got a temper :P.

My mother never had TS, so I wondered how I got it. I know that it is an inherited trait, usually passed on by the dominant gene. I also have read that males are 3 or 4 times more likely to inherit it than females. The only thing I could figure was that my father had TS. I never saw my father, so I didn't know. After asking my grandmother on my dads side of the family, she said that he always had some kind of habbit as a kid. It was then that I knew I inherited it from my father and I was the one that had to tell him that he probably had TS and what it even was.

Crap, I just noticed how much i've been typing... Sorry it's so much . Anyway, I look forward to meeting everyone here and becoming an active participant in this forum (If that's okay ).

Thanks
    -Justin-

Default Re: Hello!

Welcome Justin!

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

I am so glad you found us and were able to learn more about your TS here. The forum has a great search function which can direct you to any specific questions you may have.

I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Hi Justin and Welcome. Type as much as you want, as often as you wish here. Feel free to join in ongoing discussions or start as many as you wish.

We're glad you found the TSFC Forum.

Thank you for all of the warm welcomes. I was very busy today so I didn't have a chance to do much posting but tomorrow is another day and I plan on venturing through some posts and reading/replying. I'm glad that everyone here is so active and eager to help with peoples questions. This is a great community and I am glad that I have found others that know what I am going through and will share information with me.

I don't know anyone that has TS around here so it's different. Alot of people around here don't even know what it is. That makes it hard to explain to explain and relate to other people. Again, thanks alot for all the warm welcomes and thanks in advance for answering all the questions that I will be asking (just kidding).

Post Re: Hello!

Print the following description of Tourette Syndrome for people whom you would like to educate about the disorder:

What Is Tourette Syndrome?

Thanks alot. It's not that I mind doing it, but I get alot of questions about my TS and sometimes it's a pain to explain it time after time. THis is great because I will print this out and give it to all of my riends so they understand it alot better. Thank you very much for that.

Thanks for posting! Glad you found us.

Many of us went through what you did or worse, and even though I was diagnosed at 8 and had had symptoms since 4, I still had to deal with denial in the family and such. Fun times. Hope never to repeat them lol!

Just so you know, TS has been known to skip generations, passed down as either a carrier gene, where nothing shows, or just as associated behaviors such as ADD, ADHD, and OCD as well as learning disabilities such as slower complex thinking, inability to remember multiple directions or instructions, needing more time for work, etc. I find it interesting in that sense

Feel free to ask questions or share more stories. We'd only love to hear them and offer you our support.
    Marisa

yeah, I knew about the skipping of generations and I certainly hope it skips my kids :P. Yes, I know it's probably not my place to say that but.... I just don't want them to have to go through what I went through. I remember a few occasions where my ticks got so bad I would hit my head on something and knock myself out. One of my ticks makes me feel like I have to look straight down and use my neck to do it. It creates tension on my neck and hurts very very bad. I have so many ticks, I can't name them all.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to start offering my support to others as well but... I have to learn more about my TS before I start offering answers to peoples questions. So, I hope you'll don't mind all the questions I'm asking .

Thanks,
    -Justin-

Welcome Justin!

In terms of the genetic aspect, it's certainly hard to predict. Me and one of my two brothers both have Tourette's Syndrome. However, there's no history of anyone in our family before us having TS. Neither of my parents do, nor do my grandparents. Of course, going back further is less reliable, but there's nothing to suggest that TS was present in any of my family's known history.
    Colin

Well, my father has it but my grandmother and grandfather on my dads side don't have it. I just pray that it skips a generation with my kids :P. I know it's selfish to say. To be honest, I think that TS is very neglected as far as research and studying. Don't get me wrong, I know that it isn't life-threatening and there are other diseases/syndromes that are potentially life-threatenining and require extensive reasearch but... I feel that TS has been neglected as studies and research go. There are no medicines designed specifically TS, only medicines for blood pressure, seizures, schitzophrenia (sorry for the spelling if its wrong), and other various meds for patients under the care of a psychiatrist.

Sorry if someone disagrees with me, I wasn't trying to start an argument, but does anyone else see where I'm going with this? Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?