Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from a long time TS affected adult

Default Hello from a long time TS affected adult

Hello, My name is Surfer and I am a forty-nine year old who was diagnosed in 1993 with Tourette's. This is a little late in life I guess but I have suffered from TS all my life. Growing up, no one including doctors could tell me what I had. They all said that it was just a case of bad nerves and kept feeding me aspirins to "calm" me. Some teachers and fellow students thought that I was a litle slow and had some form of minor mental disorder. Since my diagnosis, I have also fopund out that I have General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and ADHD. I have had a bout of depression in my thirties and find that there are days when I experience it again. Has anyone else found the same thing?

Default Re: Hello from a long time TS affected adult

Hi and welcome to our forum

I can guarantee you there have been many people who have visited this forum and have shared similar stories to yours. I was 35 before I realized I had TS, I was only diagnosed with TS following my oldest son's diagnosis. Years ago there was such a lack of awareness coupled by fear of the unknown, that many people went undiagnosed and many are still not diagnosed I then found that so much of what I did, made so much more sense. Hind sight is 20/20. I know now that I have anxiety issues and I would self talk myself into a flurry years ago, pre-diagnosis and now I have such a heightened sense of self awareness that I can self manage most situations. Anxiety is linked to OCD and this is why we often hear people with TS having symptoms of anxiety because in the majority of cases it is not TS alone but the spectrum- TS co morbid with ADHD and OCD.

If you are in Canada have you connected with a local affiliate of the TSFC? We have groups or contacts in most cities across Canada. I hope you continue to connect with us and share your experiences.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Re: Hello from a long time TS affected adult

Welcome. I'm only new here myself and only being seen to have Tourettes over the past couple years. I'm now 36yo.

As a kid, I was always seen as the nervous one with little self esteem. There's truth in that too but not the whole story as I now know. It certainly makes a number of things add up, doesn't it?