Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mom needs to talk about "talkin about it"!

Default Mom needs to talk about "talkin about it"!

Hi everyone I'm Christy, my 4 year old son has recently been diagnosed with TS. What I'm struggling with right now is that he has begun to notice his tics, and that they are different. Sometimes he tries to stop them by holding his hands together or laying his head on his hands, but then his whole little body starts to shake. We need to talk about this and for the first time in my life I actually don't know "how" to talk!!! What if I say the wrong thing? How do I tell him without making him feel really different? He's so little, will he understand? I would really appreciate some feedback on this if anyone can help...

Default Re: Mom needs to talk about "talkin about it"!

Hi, welcome to our site.

Working with kids and having TS myself, you'll be very surprised how understanding children are. There's no need to get complex. If children I work with ask about my tics, I tell them my brain is hiccuping, and I can't control it. Another example that works well, is having them think of what a scratched record or CD sounds like, and compare my brain to that. For the older ones, 8+, they will understand in more detail about what TS is, but I still keep it simple, like the brain sends messages to our body to tell it to, for example, lift our hand. Instead for me, it gets stuck so I end up with a muscle tic that is a twitch, flick, jerk, etc.

The most important thing is to let him know, that although he has this condition, he shouldn't let it stop him from being him. He can play with other kids and make friends all the same, just he'll have tics. I know of people, including myself, who have fun with their tics with their friends, and just go with the flow. Not everyone is comfortable with this, but it helps to make light of a situation that could be difficult.

If you need more information, feel free to ask
    Marisa

Default Re: Mom needs to talk about "talkin about it"!

Both my children developed TS shortly after their 4th birthdays. We also used the hiccuping analogy as I think it's one of the easiest ways for very young children to start to understand. There are several books for kids that are in print, but I found that mine didn't really understand the information in the books until they were a few years older.

Now that they are 6 and 8, I just tell my kids that sometimes our brains listen very well and sometimes they don't listen as well as we would like them to. Good luck.

Colleen