Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise sensitivity

Lightbulb Noise sensitivity

JR is sensitive to noise and this is affecting her school work. She is unable to work, consentrate, because of the noise. They have tried headphones but they bother her. She has TS, ADHD and OCD.

Does anyone have ideas?

Default Re: Noise sensitivity

My son used to be scared to go out at recess because of the LOUD buzzer to come in. At his school here, they have a quieter bell so it hasn't been to bad. He's still sensitive to noise but his teacher is really good and can tell if Chase needs to be removed from a situation. Does JR have sensory integration dysfunction? My son has that and he hated to be messy, sticky, loud noises, certain tastes, and textures. THat was really hard because it seemed EVERYTHING would set him off.
    CRYSTAL

Hi Crystal, I have never heard of this sensory thing. I know textures of different material bothers her. I can finally play music in my home and car when she is with me. I talk to you tomorrow.

Hi JR's Mom

My son is also very sensitive to noise. When he was younger (he is now 14) noise was very difficult for him to handle. We have a set of hearing protectors that he used to wear all the time if I was vacuuming. Sometimes he still will but not as often. We do still take them if we are attending anything really loud like the Edmonton Grand Prix.

When he was in grades one and two he was unable to sit through an assembly because of the noise so the teacher gave him a pair of safety goggles and told him they were sound goggles. They of course did nothing to filter out any noise but the idea of them worked for my son and he was able to sit through assemblies. Of course having a child sit amongst his peers with safety goggles on did nothing to help him fit in, but what can you do? Sometimes I feel the "cure" is worse than the symptoms!

For my son it is not so much the actual noise that bothers him but the fear the noise instills in him. He still uses the phrase "my ears are scared" when confronted with noise.
    Last edited by mom2TSguy; March 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

My son who has TS has always hated the sound of fireworks. Today he is 13 years of age and still does not like it. However, loud music in the car doesn't bother him. Go figure. Dances and concerts don't bother him either.

My son anddaughter both have extreme sensitivity to noices. Even mild noices are distrubing to my daughter when she is trying to concentrate. Alternative noice is what I have researched and what my children use. They have as part of their IEP the choice to use IPODS when they need to concentrate. Interesting is that my son hasn't needed to use it when this option was presented. Just having an out made the differnce.My daughter uses it regularly.

Talking Re: Noise sensitivity

I am an adult woman with Tourette's and I am sensitive to all kinds of sounds.
    I hate the sound of fireworks, because it reminds of gunshots and that increases my hyper-vigilance.
    Fireworks is also too sharp and invasive type sounds. Some sounds are annoying and sounds and my senses in general are much heightened, being a person with TS.

I find other sounds help me to sleep, do my work-I like having the sound of the TV and music playing.
    When I listen to music, I like it very loud. But I removed my doorbell because the sound of it and the anticipation of it suddenly buzzing was making me into one bitchy, twitchy witch.
    It's like my tics have their likes and dislikes of types of noise /sounds and some are just plain irritating, which gets expressed through some form of twitching.

If you want to cut out noise, get some ear plugs. There are different kinds-it just depends on what is comfortable for each person. They really cut out noise.
    There are soft spongy earplugs and there are also waxy kinds, which are very comfortable and keep out those intrusive sounds. Good for doing schoolwork and good for getting some sleep.
    They're sold at pharmacies.

I talked to mother of a noice sensitive child and the trick she uses is chewing gum. It seems the chewing is an out for the noice. I am going to try it with my kids...

Thanks for the tip Elaine!

My seven year old son (with TS+) has SID as well. He has problems with textures from potatoes, bumps in socks, and loud noise. The vacuum cleaner is way to loud.
    When we wanted to take him to the international Tattoo here in Halifax, he said to us, I don't want to go mom, for you it's music, to me it's loud noise....