Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vocal Tics last entire day for 2-3 weeks.

Default Vocal Tics last entire day for 2-3 weeks.

Hi all, my 13 yr old kid started to have vocal tics ( very weird sounds and the volume almost similiar to a cough ). He only get 1 or 2 mins silence in between his vocal tics and this last almost the entire day. It has been running for 2/3 weeks now. Is this a norm for TS and similiar to what others are experiencing. Currently on 10mg Prozac for anxiety/OCD

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Vocal Tics last entire day for 2-3 weeks.

Hi JoshuaPR,
    I think that sounds well within the realm of "normal" for TS. You will probably find that this tic will disappear as suddenly as it began, provided no one is commenting on it. Then, it will most likely be replaced by a new even more interesting tic. At least that seems to be our experience. Kristin

Hi JoshuaPR,

Once we counted the number of times our child had vocal tics and it could be as frequent as 30 times per minute. This was usually when his tics were on a "high". They would sound like loud barks/coughs/hiccups, etc where he would lose his voice. Again, the tics would evolve into something else.

Jennifer

Thanks all for sharing. For a moment our family was thinking that it may be something more than TS. It does give us some comfort knowing that his symptoms are in line with other TS children.

JoshuaPR

My son's tics do that when he gets stressed out or excited about something. The weeks before Christmas are VERY LOUD around here! lol Then everything goes back to "normal" after the event causing the stress. LOL I can also use his vocal tics as a lie detector. The louder the tic the less truth is in his answer, I think this bothers him more than the tic itself!