Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vocal tic I never knew I had

Default Vocal tic I never knew I had

Up until the most recent Toastmasters meeting I attended just last week, I was of the belief that my only vocal tics was a choking sound and the once every now then low grunt. This belief however was destroyed after listening to my speech which I recorded.

While listening to my speech, I could hear myself making a sort of click noise and one or two pfsst noises. I have to make a copy and send it to my family doctor.

Anybody else here have recorded themselves talking?

Default Re: Vocal tic I never knew I had

Interesting that you are performing tics without knowing about them. I have loads of tics and am aware of every single one of them. Very interesting...
    Check out my tic ridden blog:
    http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TicTicTicBoom View Post
    I have loads of tics and am aware of every single one of them.
    At least, that's what you think. Who knows, maybe you're not!

I've never really recorded myself but I've had my wife point out new tics to me from time to time before I realized I was doing them.
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by cailean View Post
    At least, that's what you think. Who knows, maybe you're not!

I've never really recorded myself but I've had my wife point out new tics to me from time to time before I realized I was doing them.
    Well, maybe it is different for everyone, then. Because in my case, at least, there is no way I would not be aware of my tics. I am so aware of all of them. In fact, I have always said that touretters not knowing they're ticcing was misinformation from the outsider's point of view.

One of the worst memories I have from my youth was when my dad was yelling at me saying, "See, you don't even know you're doing it!" That killed me because not only was I aware of them; I was undoubtedly more aware than he.

They are not involuntary movements. We decide when to do them. It is the obsession and compulsion to perform the motor or vocal tics that we cannot control.

If you disagree with that please, let me hear it. I am very interested if there is a difference in our opinions about this.
    Check out my tic ridden blog:
    http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TicTicTicBoom View Post
    Well, maybe it is different for everyone, then. Because in my case, at least, there is no way I would not be aware of my tics. I am so aware of all of them. In fact, I have always said that touretters not knowing they're ticcing was misinformation from the outsider's point of view.

One of the worst memories I have from my youth was when my dad was yelling at me saying, "See, you don't even know you're doing it!" That killed me because not only was I aware of them; I was undoubtedly more aware than he.

They are not involuntary movements. We decide when to do them. It is the obsession and compulsion to perform the motor or vocal tics that we cannot control.

If you disagree with that please, let me hear it. I am very interested if there is a difference in our opinions about this.
    I would have to say that they are both compulsive and involuntary. Sometimes I feel compelled to do something such as in the supermarket a month or two ago where I successfully fought off having to rearrange some tins on the shelf. There are things that I do that has no compulsion but I just do it automatically such as; shaking head, sniffing, choking sound tic while talking, etc.