Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Risperdal

Default Risperdal

Does anyone know if the medication, Risperdal is effective in people with TS?
    I have a son 14 who has TS. His tics are getting worse. Is anyone else on this medication and if so, has it helped any.

Default Re: Risperdal

MY ds is on Risperdal ( a very low dose of .25 mg) but it's not for his tics, it's more for his rages. I avoided this med for a very long time after working with many children who were on it and had major side effects. However, in consultation with the doctor and her being so cautious about the dose we decided to use it, after nothing else was helping. It has been a god send to our famiy.

We haven't tried any medications to specifically target the tics. Not that we wouldn't but the request would have to come from our ds as for the most part the tics are the least of his symptoms (even though the tics are extremely prevalent).

it worked for me when I took it although my tics have been better so we cut it off cause it was affecting my diabetes a bit I would reccomend it though

I take Risperdal at 1 mg a day for my mood but at this dosage, this does help slightly. For it to effectively work for tics, it must be used in doses of 3 - 4 mg a day.

I was on risperdal for a while, it helped with my tics a lot. My doctor took me off it because he didn't think I needed it anymore, and slowly wants me to come off most of the medications I'm taking. I've been pretty good off it so far, much better than before I started it.