Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Appointment with Professor in doubt

Default Appointment with Professor in doubt

I have an appointment with a Professor in Neurology in Brisbane in August. That being in 11 weeks time. The cost for the appointment is somewhere between $300 to $350. Thankfully, I can get the airfare/train trip to Brisbane and back paid by Queensland Health which doesn't include any travel costs on either side of the long distance trip. While I will get most of the consultation fee back through the Medicare rebate, the money does have to be raised first.

So to afford the costs of the consultation, travel and food, I need to find $500 in 11 weeks time for a day trip. Would cost even more if I am only given train fare instead of the plane as the train trip is an 8 hour trip compared to 50 minutes by air.

With the ever increasing cost of living mostly driven by bills, I seriously doubt I will raise the money and this would be my second cancellation, I'll just end up not bothering in moving the appointment as the costs are going up making it harder and I'm not going to keep moving back the date of an appointment I seem unlikely to afford.

The annoying part is that my Neurologist admits to not knowing what my third neurological condition is and he needs help in finding out. Oh well, I have been believing that they will never found out this neurological matter out anyway. It does and is setting off my Tourettes Syndrome and Dystonia but that's life.

And for those certain Americans I keep meeting online who believe Australia has a Universal Health Care that provides equal medical treatment, you're living in Disney Land. Like everywhere else, the door is opened for those with the money while often held shut on those who can't afford it because politicians don't want to spend the money.

Default Re: Appointment with Professor in doubt

... and they especially don't want to spend money on mental health programs!

Quote Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
    ... and they especially don't want to spend money on mental health programs!
    Yep. They're starting to add more money but mostly on just some extra beds which really isn't much of a solution but yet another band aid.

I did cancel the appointment and advised them that I won't be rescheduling as I can't afford it.