Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Default New here

Newbie alert! I am the mom of an 8 year with TS+. I am wondering if anyone has heard of or is using a service dog to help manage.

Default Re: New here

Hello MeiYu,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for joining us. I personally am not aware of a service dog being used to assist someone with Tourette, although there are findings that service animals can benefit people with other disorders.

There well might be some work being done to investigate this possibility!

Have you seen or read anything in this regard and what benefit it might provide?

Hi MeiYu and welcome to the forum.

I have not heard of any TS service dogs however having pets have been known to be therapeutic for people.

Default Re: New here (Service Dog)

I had originally started researching Service Dogs for my 7 year old with Autism and was surprised to learn that there are a variety of different training programs for Service Dogs above and beyond ASD, vision and hearing impairment. The more I research, the more I have come to learn that a Service Dog to support my 8 year old with TS+ would be beneficial!

Research shows that Service Companions provide the following (the list is extensive so I have narrowed it down a little):
    -lowered blood pressure
    -moderation of stress
    -improved motivation
    -lowers anxiety, anger and depression
    -creates safety
    -increases positive expectations of both self and others
    -provides comfort
    -reinforces learning
    -encourages positive social behaviour
    -fosters feeling of safety and acceptance
    -enhances self-esteem
    -decreases loneliness
    -inspires people to smile, laugh and have fun
    -offers unconditional love and acceptance
    -normalizes extremes in a healthy direction
    -causes people to forget their pain and limitations by focusing outward
    -provide connects to home and school

I have found an organization that trains psychiatric/medical service dogs. It is called the Thames Centre Service Dogs in Thorndale Ontario. My daughter has been accepted into the program to receive a service dog. My husband and I are in early stages of discussing if this is a viable choice given that it costs $10,000. The cost covers the dog, training, all tack (supplies like, working vest, multiple leashes, etc.), in home handler training, training for the elementary school staff, ongoing support, etc. The cost is actually low considering the amazing training the dog receives and the tremendous amount of support offered to family and community. Now we are in search of charities and grants that may offer assistance, since we are a one income family due to the high needs of our children.

Angie

Great news and than your for the update on your progress.

Have you ruled out any financial assistance from government agencies, Federal or Provincial? Perhaps the Thames Centre may have suggestions.

Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services

Federal Child Disabilty Benefit

Other options might include service organizations that seek out the needs of individuals then conduct fundraising campaigns on their behalf.

Hello MeiYu,
    this is a very interesting item for me. I wonder if we have that offer in Germany too. I'll try to figure it out.
    I've learned from two members of our German tourette forum that they have a dog for their children that doesn't cost taxes owing to their children's disease. But these aren't service dogs.
    We ourselves have two dogs and one rabbit and sometimes they help my son to calm down.

Siva,

Check out the Thames Service Dog website for more information. The founder of the program is Elizabeth Baker and she provides dogs to people in need all across Canada. She is very invovled in all aspects of Service Dog training on all levels including creating new regulations and laws. She may know of international organizations that could help you.

http://www.thamescentreservicedogs.com

Hugs,

Angie