Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Girls with TS

Default Girls with TS

Both my children have TS. My son is 9, my daughter 7. Her tics are recent, and they have all been facial. She says children at school have asked why she does the eye blinking, and such, thankfully no one has teased her about it yet. I'm wondering how girl's cope with TS? I realize that many girls who are bullied, are usually bullied psychologically or verbally/emotionally? I feel like I'm not as concerned about my son being bullied, as boys might just laugh, or physically bully, but leave it that. Plus his tics aren't as noticeable. I wonder if it will be harder for her if she does get bullied or teased, it might be more have more social and psychological repercussions? I especially would like to hear from women growing up with TS or parents with older daughters? Thanks.

Default Re: Girls with TS

No child, girl or boy should be subjected to any form of teasing or bullying because of their disorder.

Schools have an obligation to provide a safe learning environment for every child and often failure to do so is because of inadequate training of school staff in understanding how to integrate children with special needs into the curriculum.

The same is true in playgrounds and social situations.

Information is the key to proactively dealing with teasing and bullying, and the resources I referred to HERE in our previous discussion should help in that regard.

Have you contacted the nearby TSFC Chapter for their In Service training assistance?

I guess my question is if there is a difference in how girls cope with their TS over boys, if they have more issues with self esteem or self image, especially in adolescence. I know of a few famous men with TS, but I never hear of any women. For girls, do they more ashamed?

Smile Re: Girls with TS

Sorry for misunderstanding your question. As you may know, the incidence of Tourette among females appears to be lower than in men, although some believe the disorder manifests itself differently in females by expressing itself in many of the co-morbid conditions such as Obessive Compulsive Behaviour.

I have met a number of girls and women with Tourette in support meetings in which I participated and their concerns and issues sounded pretty much the same as those voiced by male counterparts.

In essence, there should be no reason for shame in anyone with Tourette or any other medical disorder, as the disorder is never a reflection of ones's personal failure of deficiency of character.

Tourette Syndrome is a genetic disorder, that has been passed down through the generations in family trees, and the recipient of those genes has nothing to be ashamed of. The disorder produces involuntary movements and behaviours which in some people might be able to be temporarily suppressed, but not eliminated.

In dealing with social situations, the person or child with Tourette has to be armed with a clear, prepared explanation to be given only when necessary to respond to any questions by people they might encounter.

You may want to rehearse this with your son and daughter in a role playing scenario, so each of them can comforably and confidently tell a playmate, teacher or anyone else something like, "I have Tourette Syndrome, an involuntary neurological disorder tha causes me to .........."

They may want to keep a copy of one of the descriptive brochure handouts we have posted for that purpose HERE

Your daughter's confidence and self esteem will also be reinforced by introducing her to other young people her age as well as adults dealing with Tourette at a TSFC Chapter meeting, or at a national event such as the TSFC National Meeting, in 2011 being held in Ottawa in October.

From my own experience, the best defense against lack of confidence, self esteem issues and shame in connection with Tourette is exposure and information, along with a strong family support system.

hello! I am a teenage girl with TS. I have been through everything your talking about and to all the Moms and Dads out there you need to pay attention to this its very important. There is nothing you can do. Once you acccept that you can start giving your girls the tools to do it themselves. The best tool you can give them is encouragement. Tell them to explain to their friends about their TS. Tell them to pull the bully aside and have a heart to heart with them explaining about themselves. However you cant push it. Everybody with TS has to come to a point in their life where they are no longer ashamed or embarrassed; when they can look themselves in the mirror and say I have TS but I am so much more. Unfortunately you cant do that for them, just keep encouraging them to talk freely and it will come.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

The best way to deal with bullying is by having a sense of humor.

Popcornqueen,

Everybody with TS has to come to a point in their life where they are no longer ashamed or embarrassed; when they can look themselves in the mirror and say I have TS but I am so much more.
    Very well expressed!

I believe your statement summarizes the point this Forum tries to make to just about everyone trying to figure out how to deal with their particular situation in connection with the Tourette in their lives.

Popcornqueen,
    I love your observation:
    The best way to deal with bullying is by having a sense of humor.
    When you think about all the "famous" people with TS many of them have built a persona that includes humour to describe how TS affects their lives. It's great to hear that you've found the tools to help yourself.

BTW There's a great page on Bullying at the Public Safety Canada site: Bullying Prevention: Nature and Extent of Bullying in Canada

But it doesn't address the reality of the girl bully.

This site does:

Girl bullies do not fit the stereotype of a bully. To most adults a bully is a big kid pushing around another kid half the size. Girl bullies are the popular girls in school and are well liked by adults. The girl bully appears to have the perfect life as she has all the latest clothes, her nails are polished and her hair is professional done. She is overconfident and is the “queen bee” of the group telling others what to do and think.
    Popcornqueen, do you have any more thoughts for other girls out there who are facing off with a girl bully or bullies?
    Last edited by Tina; August 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

I had a bully in grades 4-5. And I'll give you a check list to try that worked for me. I hope this helps.
    1- ignore them, they will probably get bored if you don't react and leave
    you alone
    2-make some jokes; have some laughs. If people feel like your in on the joke, its not so funny anymore.
    3-try talking to your bully alone when others aren't around, this will take the pressure off. Ask them why- they dont like you, what-can be done to fix things and how their actions make you feel. (KEEP CALM)
    4-trying being friends; invite them over for a movie, have a Halloween party and invite all the girls in your class.
    5-talk to your principal, teacher and parents if things get worst or do not improve.

It took me a year and a half to get all the way to number 4 but by the time I did my bully had grown up. She even gave me a card saying sorry. We did not end up the best of friends however we did treat each other with the respect every human being (living thing) deserves.

Awesome suggestions Popcornqueen!
    It's great to hear you were able to get to number 4 and your bully had matured and mellowed enough to say sorry.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

That is a great list and strategy. My friend's daughter is being bullied at school and I am going to share this with her. Hopefully the girls mellow and mature over the summer, but if not at least she is armed with some tools to cope.