Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Unusual Observations following Trauma

Question Unusual Observations following Trauma

Hi.

I'm 50 years old and have had Tourette's Syndrome for roughly 40 years. My tics include head twitches and shakes, blinking, eyebrow raising, vocal tics such as grunts, "coughs" and stuttering; various body tics and so forth. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 26, although I 'knew' in late high-school (it was featured on the David Suzuki-hosted 'Quirks and Quarks' as well an orphan drug episode of (I think) 'Cannon.' So I'm well versed in the waxing/waning and variety of tics that have a mind of their own not just from my own experience but also from meeting others in support groups and just the general acquistion of knowledge one gets from having something dominate one's life for so long.

So I told you that to tell you this:

A little less than two months ago, I was assaulted/attacked/mugged while scooting around a local walking track I've racked up many, MANY miles on. As we all know, exercising (at times to a point of exess) is a great way to temper the storm of thoughts and ideas in one's head.

Anyway, the attack left me with a split lower jaw, multiple fractures on the left side of my lower jaw, displaced teeth, a broken nose, a still lingering concussion and no recollection of the incident whatsoever. What knowledge I have is based on news reports and information passed on by the local police and hospital staff as well as the photos, x-rays and additional information given to me by the brilliant maxilofacial ward doctors and nursing staff in Halifax, NS, where I had been transferred.

I've been on Clonazepam 6mg daily for at least 15 years and if I forget the meds it doesn't take 2 days before I'm feeling 'jittery.' So here's the thing:

for the first two weeks post-surgery I took no C'pam because I not only experienced a complete absence of tics for the first time in decades - I wasn't even stuttering. In fact, my fluency has been noted by many people who only know me as 'that guy that stutters.'

While the tics have returned to a certain degree (and neurologically I suppose that's technically a good thing), my fluency continues (not 100 percent, but a significant leap forward) almost two months since the attack.

The head trauma and subsequent lingering concussion must be playing a huge role in this as I've remained 'detatched' from the moment and thus have a much lower baseline level of anxiety than I can ever remember. While it's not something I'd recommend as any form of treatment (!!), I'm very much aware that something has changed and the effects may only be temporary (I could just as easily be engulfed by PTSD tomorrow) but I am VERY CURIOUS to know if anyone has experieced anything similar or knows of any situation that resembles what I've been going through - and believe me, it is very surreal.

Any thoughts on the matter or potential people to contact would be appreciated. I'm always fascinated by these kinds of things but now that I'm the one in the middle, my interest and attention is only magnified.

Thanks for reading,
    Glenn

Default Re: Unusual Observations following Trauma

Hello Glenn and welcome to the Forum. Your experience is truly fascinating and in my lay experience have never heard of such remission.

It will be interesting to hear more of how this situation evolves for you.

As an added resource, you might find some of the information on stutter of interest on the website of the Stuttering Foundation

Hi Glenn,
    Yes, thank you for sharing your experience.
    Steve suggested the website of the American Stuttering Organization.
    There's also an organization in the UK which has a great website, the BSA.
    Please continue to let us know how your condition evolves.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

As Mr. Spock on StarTrek would say, "Fascinating".

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, ennz, but the temporary disappearance of some of your symptoms, especially stuttering, is intriguing. I too would request that you update us on your progress.

What does "orphan drug episode 'cannon'" mean or refer to?

What is an Orphan Drug?
    Source: About.com

Hello Geneva!

Pharmaceutical (drug) and biotech companies are constantly researching and developing new medications to treat medical conditions, and new drugs come on the market frequently. People who have rare diseases or disorders, however, have not had as much research attention in past decades. This is because their numbers are small and therefore the potential market for new drugs to treat them (commonly referred to as “orphan drugs) is also small. A rare disease occurs in less than 200,000 individuals in the United States, or less than 5 per 10,000 individuals in the European Union. Government regulatory agencies in the United States and the European Union have thus taken steps to reduce this disparity.
    More information HERE

The reference to "Cannon" is unclear, but may refer to the code name used for an investigational drug. Hopefully Glenn might provide more information.