Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello to all

Default Hello to all

I am new here. I don't have Tourette's, just so you all know, and I'm trying to learn more about it. I can relate somewhat however. I have discovered I do have simple tics, among this include head, hand, and leg jerking, a whole body shudder that I've had since childhood, and random vocal noises (I make random sounds, or meowing or hissing, and "maniacal" laughter when excited, though that one is a bit odd), and maybe a few more I don't remember. I'm thinking those simple tics may be related to ADD/ADHD that I"m trying to see if I have, but that's not important here.

I hope you all don't think I'm intruding on the forum, I really want to learn more about Tourette's.

A little bit of background on me is I am a 19 year old female and I am in college studying a Special Education Major.

Default Re: Hello to all

Welcome to the TSFC Forum, ScarletRose.

Hello ScarletRose and welcome. Have you ever been seen and evaluated by a physician to determine why you exhibit these symptoms?

I have never been to a physician about these, they never seemed to be big issues. Even the whole body shudder wasn't a big deal and my mom would always call it "chills," though it was never brought on by cold or such, it really is a random uncontrollable thing that occurs, and I've noticed it happens more if I think about it and when I'm stressed. I've always wondered about the whole body shudder, I can control it to a point when it does occur (sometimes), to where I just get the feeling of it going from the top of my head down my spine, but sometimes I can't control it at all. For this it's like my whole body stops doing what it was doing and for a second or two the whole thing shakes. It's not a seizure I know that, it doesn't appear to be like a seizure at all, it's a whole body shudder. Hand jerking is pretty much only obnoxious when on the computer because I tend to click the wrong thing. Leg jerking however concerns me a little with driving, I just hope it doesn't make me hit the gas too hard. Vocal sounds are just entertaining, they don't create much of a problem, but I did freak out a friend once because I made a bird-like sound and didn't even realize I'd done it, it was a bit funny.

Can I ask why you asked? I'm just curious. I've mostly been trying to figure out the whole body shudder for a long time, and at one point I freaked out so much because I thought it was something horrible, but then I remembered I've had it since childhood.

Can I ask why you asked?
    You stated in your opening post:

I don't have Tourette's
    but then went on to list symptoms typical of the disorder, so although we do not offer diagnosis, I was curious on what basis you were making the statement. There are good reasons you might consider an expert opinion b a qualified and competent medical professional with experience in movement disorders and Tourette Syndrome.

If ever you consider having children, the potential genetic impact of this disorder on your children as well as the potential impact of the frequent co-morbid conditions associated with Tourette such as OCD and learning disorders, would be a subject for discussion with your partner.

I was stating i don't have the syndrome, but I was saying I could relate that way it didn't seem like I was intruding completely on the forum and I do understand a bit of what's going on.

Now I"m sorry you got confused or such, and I regret how things were said, I'm sorry.

No need for apology, just want to understand your situation; and you are certainly not intruding..we're glad you've joined us.

Welcome aboard, Scarlet. I'm sure there are things we can learn from each other and maybe one day, if you ever become interested in what causes your stuff, you'll seek out a professional who can find the cause. If it doesn't stop you from living your life, then i guess it really isn't too important.