Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Greetings

Lightbulb Greetings

My name is Kris, I am 34 years old, and I have a form of TS that mostly exhibits itself as motor tics. I've lost several jobs to people who have apparently thought I was on drugs (because of the nervous motions) and am currently dealing with my most recent no-explanation termination (not a big deal I have other prospects, but I am dealing with it as I can) - I have been noticing lately that my tics seem to be harmonically related to other natural rhythms, like the sound of cicadas (if I put a plastic bag on my foot and just let it go it will sound quite like a cicada infestation) and I can't think of any reason that those of us with tourette syndrome from birth are not simply expressing an adaptive gene to the nature around us. I am somewhat a polymath, self-taught, and I work in IT (I make servers go-I am best in automated server builds and troubleshooting thereof, for those who are techy). I also find that I am highly sensitive to certain things around me, sounds, lights, radio emissions, they all seem to mess with my concentration more than that of most people. I don't know if this is a common trait in people with TS but I thought I would share. I look forward to talking to like-brained/minded individuals on this forum. :friendly_wink:

Default Re: Greetings

Hello Kris and welcome to the Forum.

Until reading your post I was not familiar with cicadas, so I had to look it up. It's always a good day when I learn something new!

Sorry to hear about your employment situation, and hope your prospects turn out to be successful. Have you ever been proactive with employers and co-workers to explain that you have Tourette Syndrome, explaining the involuntary nature of the disorder so they understand why you have tics?

You may find This Forum Post about The Highly Sensitive Person and how it may relate to what you have been experiencing.

Many people with Tourette seem to exhibit many of traits of high sensitivity to stimuli; in particular receiving multiple demands simultaneously, that often overwhelm and even cause a rage reaction in some people.