Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: co-sertraline

Default co-sertraline

does anyone have any experience with this drug and children? my doctor wants me to put my eight year old son on it, after googling the drug im not sure i am comfortable using it.

Default Re: co-sertraline

Sertraline is the generic name of the brand name SSRI called Zoloft. The class of medications it belongs to is called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, a class of medication in use since the early 1990's.

Originally these medications were indicated to treat depression and anxiety, but later clinical trials showed their effectiveness in treating a variety of anxiety based disorders such as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

It is my understanding that Zoloft is approved for use in children to treat OCD.

These medications are among the most widely used in the world and have been shown to be effective and safe.

Your doctor would have clinical experience with this medication, and would be in the best position to make a recommendation based on your son's medical history and diagnosis.

after googling the drug im not sure i am comfortable using it.
    I appreciate your concern, but it should be noted the internet contains a great deal of misleading information on medications, usually posted by uninformed individuals for self serving purposes. All medications have unexpected side effects, and by maintaining a line of communication with the doctor, any adverse effects should be reported immediately because there are strategies your doctor has to deal with these side effects.

What specifically are your concerns?

my biggist concern was the site said it was not approvied for use on children under 18 and that it has been known to cause sucidal thoughts in children. thats why i posted here also to see what anyone who has used the drug on there children had to say about it. i want the best for me child just as anyone would and i have never been confortable using drugs on him from the begining. i think his symptoms can be managed without them, but my son said he felt better on the prozac, the problem being that it was a low dose and the doctor said it was no longer effective,raising the dose caused aggression in him aslo.last year the school notticed the aggression after raising the dose of prozac. and we had to lower it again. this is my baby and im concerned about what were doing to him at only eight years of age by putting so much into his body. we had a bad experince with a peaditrion, and have recently changed doctors. maybe im just overreacting now.

Quote Originally Posted by brendamasn View Post
    my biggist concern was the site said it was not approvied for use on children under 18 and that it has been known to cause sucidal thoughts in children. thats why i posted here also to see what anyone who has used the drug on there children had to say about it.
    There has never been any evidence beyond anectdotal reports that this is true. See Suicide Risk with SSRIs and Other Medications

The reality is that suicide rates among youth decreased with the release of SSRI medications such as Prozac and Zoloft, and increased again when the US, the UK, and Canada initiated a "ban" or prescribing these medications for youth.

Quote Originally Posted by brendamasn View Post
    i want the best for me child just as anyone would and i have never been confortable using drugs on him from the begining. i think his symptoms can be managed without them, but my son said he felt better on the prozac, the problem being that it was a low dose and the doctor said it was no longer effective,raising the dose caused aggression in him aslo.last year the school notticed the aggression after raising the dose of prozac. and we had to lower it again. this is my baby and im concerned about what were doing to him at only eight years of age by putting so much into his body. we had a bad experince with a peaditrion, and have recently changed doctors. maybe im just overreacting now.
    Again, I know of no evidence to suggest that Prozac can 'cause" aggression.

it was not approvied for use on children under 18
    Correct, for use as an antidepressant, however at a different dose level taking their body weight into consideration, this medication is used to treat OCD in children.

In treating Tourette, the doctor along with the patient and parent need to take a number of factors into consideration. Primarily, what symptoms of the disorder adversely affect the person's quality of life, and what symptoms are manageable without intervention.

Treating Tourette tics is usually more problematic, but treating many of the co-morbid conditions like anxiety and OCD are usually easier to treat with medications that are less invasive.

You need to inform the doctor about your son's previous experience with Prozac and be sure to give the doctor the dosage your son was taking.

It is not uncommon that people respond differently to one SSRI from another, and because there is no "one size fits all" with this medication, trial and error is often the only way to find the one that works best.

If your doctor has recommended Zoloft to treat your son'r OCD, it is likely that doctor has clinical experience with that medication in children and has a protocol s/he follows to prescribe it safely. Ask the doctor about his/her previous experience in children with OCD with Zoloft and don't hesitate to express your concerns to the doctor.

Your doctor is your ally and by working in partnership with the doctor you are taking the steps to make sure you are getting the best treatment possible.

To address your concerns about SSRI's and suicidality, I would urge you to review the body of information posted by Dr. Baxter and others to help put the issue in perspective.

this is my baby and im concerned about what were doing to him at only eight years of age by putting so much into his body.
    You are a concerned and concientious Mom and you are doing the right thing to ask questions to make an informed decision. In doing so, I would urge that you consider the sources of the information you find to ensure they are objective and not have a hidden agenda, as many internet sites do these days.

Use sources such as government sites, credible medical sites such as Mayo Clinic or respected support organizations such as TSFC. Ask your doctor about concerns you have and let the doctor provide you with your various options, and weigh those options on the basis of benefits vs risks. In every treatment mode there are risks, which is why you need to weigh the benefits against those potential risks for the benefit of your son.

Asking questions is the best thing you can do!

Smile Re: co-sertraline

Brendamasn,

I'd like to suggest a book that might help in your information gathering:

Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids, Revised Edition [Paperback]
    Timothy E. Wilens MD (Author)

Attached is an excerpt from the introductory page you might like to read.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my sons doctor said that causing a child to be to tiered causes aggression in some children , and if a child is to stimulited it can cause the same effect. because prozac is a stimuliant that was what caused his aggresion.

Prozac isn't a stimulant, though. It's a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), used primary to treat anxiety and depression but also used sometimes for other issues such as ADHD.

thanks for the info, i will ask my doctor about why she said it was a stimulant, although it did seem to help my son for a while the effects did not last. i appreaciate you taking the time to reply, like i said this is all new to me , im trying to get the best for my son, from the start i was more concerned about his learning problems, hes going into grade three this year and still has only a basic jk understanding not knowing all his abc, or can not reconise numbers to ten yet. im very concerned about how to help him learn, the school sycoligst said his learning disability only affects one to four percent of population. and no one knows how to help him. i am confendent i can help him deal with his ts and autism were on waiting list for occupational theorpy, but i think the doctor thinks med will help him learn, although she may be sidetracked by some of his othere symptoms. i intend to book an apt with her next week to talk to her without my son being there, i want to know where her thoughts are and explaine mine to her. as well i will be going to the school to talk more with them, although my son has extreame bouts with the tics and ocd anxiety, they come and go in waves, and there are some times weeks or even months that he is relaxed and almost symptom free. before i start the new med the doctor perscribed on him i want to talk more to her. again i appericate all your insite and info it does help thanks

i started my son on co-sertraline after all. it may be helping him in school, hard to tell right now, my problem is that he has been putting on weight, eight pounds in only four weeks, doctor said that its a side effect of med. but wants him to stay on it for a few more months. im very concerned about his weight gain, it cant be healthy , hes only eight years old. ive modifyed his diet as much as i can , hes very limited on what he will eat. and am watching how much snack food he consumes. but if he puts on another few pounds next week i think i will have to take him off the med. does anyone have any advice on how to controll the weight gain for my son? his anxiety stops him from participating in group activities such as sports or a club. ive tryed to get him to go to the y, they offer kids programs there, but i cant get him out of house. he is a big boy and if he puts up a strugle i cant get him to go.