Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recreational Activities for Child with TS+ ADHD/OCD/Sensory

Default Recreational Activities for Child with TS+ ADHD/OCD/Sensory

I am looking for some recreational activities for my 5 year old. We tried gymnastics (but that was 2 years ago, pre-diagnosis and treatment) and it was not very good. Skating was an epic fail. Soccer was not very good either. Swimming was okay last year, and he will be enrolled again in the new year.

He is in Beavers, which is hit or miss, depending on the night, and the leaders are great with him. I am just looking for something more active, and FUN for him.

Does anyone have any experience with Tae Kwon Do or dancing? My son does like to "shake his booty!"

Any advice would be great!

TIA

Default Re: Recreational Activities for Child with TS+ ADHD/OCD/Sensory

Though I don't know much about marshall arts, I do see many young people enjoying the activity at a local training center. It's very active, athletic, seems to sharpen coordination and probably does wonders for self esteem and self confidence.

Hi Tia,

Sports are an excellent way of helping a child cope with their TS. The physical activity provides an outlet and release for the energy of tics and many parents find that enrolling their child in extracurricular activies helps them focus at school.

There's a whole chapter on Recreation, Leisure and Vacations in the TSFC's Handbook for Families.
    If you son is already in Beavers and swimming, be careful not to overschedule him.
    Some children with TS do not enjoy team sports, some excel at them.
    Children with any sensitivity to touch will not enjoy any sport with contact.

At this year's conference, we had an amazing night playing Dance Central with the IYM youth.
    Many of them were not dancers, but they did an amazing job, especially to the hip hop songs.
    I'm thinking a game like Dance Central might let you see what type of music and dance moves your son likes, before you enroll him in a program.

A number of member also find martial arts help their tics.
    In particular, Shane Fistell, has channelled his tics into martial arts and is now an instructor.
    You can see a video about Shane in the @Random project by accessing the "Credits" page from the main home-page, and finding the icon for "Shane Fistell: A Portrait of Tourette Syndrome."

I hope this helps!
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

My 9 year old son also has TS/ADHD and loves his karate program. He has been in karate for 4 years. Like Steve said, it helps increase their self esteem, confidence and provides a source of protection. Karate helps with the self discipline which is a great target for the ADHD. His tics do not interfere and infact seem to decrease while at the dojo. Many of the cohos offer a free intro class as well as a short term membership for you to give it a try. Over programming can work in reverse as they don't have any down time which I find can increase the tics because of the stress of completing all activities as well as keeping things bottled up for so long.
    Good luck and hope this helped! Nikki

My 9 yr old son has been in tae kwon do for 8 mos now and he hates it. The master is so critical of him (odd) and told me he didn't believe in "add and all that". We are trying to get out of another 6 mos contract because it just causes him anxiety and stress. The classes are very structured and almost military. Don't sign a contract is my advice. It's like you are enrolling him in a school and the master only wants to produce winners!

Geneva,
    Sorry to hear about your experience with tae kwon do.
    Sounds like the master has control issues and isn't open to your son's condition.
    Is there another master within that school?
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

There is no other master. He owns this as his primary business and he is the instructor.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

My son does enjoy his pottery class and creative writing class. He took piano for awhile but over the summer didn't want to go. He has recently said he wanted to start the classes again. So I will enroll him in piano in January.

My son (9 years old now) did fencing for a while though he decided it was too boring
    He is loving curling though - he's in his 3rd year.

Thanks everyone! I have him signed up for hip hop, and I will take it one day at a time.