Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is CBT covered by OHIP?

Default Is CBT covered by OHIP?

Could anyone please tell me if the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for tics and Tourette's? It is covered by our health insurance in California, but we plan to move to Toronto this summer and we are trying to work out a budget before we move (which we will really need after seeing the high price of Toronto real estate).

Default Re: Is CBT covered by OHIP?

Generally speaking, the services of psychologists (who are the most likely practitioners to be trained in CBT) are not covered by the government health plans unless they are provided in a hospital setting, either inpatient services or outpatient clinics.

On the other hand, most employee extended health insurance plans will cover at least a percentage (e.g., 80%) of the fees for licensed/Registered Psychologists, up to an annual maximum which varies with the specific insurance plan (for federal government employees the limit is $1000 per person per calendar year).

However, you indicate that you are moving to Toronto, where there is a facility called the Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH) where there is a very active group of psychologists who are experts in CBT. I'm not sure whether they have specialized programs for Tourette Syndrome there (Steve and Tina and others can probably tell you more about Toronto resources) but I know they do for OCD and other disorders that are often associated with TS.

Default Re: Is CBT covered by OHIP?

Hi TSMother,
    I have been in contact with the Tourette Syndrome Neurodevelopmental Clinic at Toronto Western.
    They do have a few doctors who offer CBT, however, neither is taking patients at this moment.
    We are researching other options. I'll post more details when we have them.
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership