Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Clonidine works for me

Default How Clonidine works for me

I haven't been diagnosed with TS for that long, about a year, but i've had to live with the symptoms my entire life. since it didnt really effect my life all that much, i had always maintained the belief that medication was not the answer. but then one day i decided I wasn't going to deal with the symptoms without first trying medication. So my doctor first put me on Pranol with minimal results, other than a really tired, blood pressure regulated teenager.

After telling my doctor the meds weren't working, she told me about Clonidine, how it was originally a blood pressure medication, and like propranolol, it could be used to treat things like anxiety, OCD, and tourettes. Thinking to myself "wow, just another blood pressure medication thats probably not going to work" I decided I wasnt going to gain anything from not trying it. So i did. needless to say, it worked instantly. at first I didn't tic at all, and the drug really affected my state of mind. Not being used to the drug, I found myself sort of 'high'. I was docile, very relaxed, and concentrated. then as i started getting used to it some of my tics started coming back and i started feeling normal. but i noticed they weren't as bad. My shoulders weren't aching as much because i wasnt ticcing so hard in that area, and my vocal tic 'HEP' had virtually disappeared. ( from my understanding a tourettes symptom completely dissapearing is very rare in treating TS, especially with a lot of the meds surrounding it.)

it also greatly improved my ability to concentrate, and brought my obsessions to an all time minimum. Although i still struggle, I find myself able to do certain things, like babysit my little brother and sister, without having obsessions come rushing into my head. Clonidine has been a miracle for me!

I know there are many people on here that have questions about clonidine, and i hope this helps. But it does have its risks, being a blood pressure lowering medication, and also in some ways a sedative, make sure you talk to your doctor and see if they think it would help first.

Default Re: How Clonidine works for me

My son has been on Clonidine for 1.5 years now and has had tremendous results. Like above, his vocal tic pretty well disappeared within 2 days and has not returned since starting the meds. While my son also has ADHD, anxiety issues and explosive behavior, the Clonidine has helped only slightly with these. Howev, that being said, his self esteem is slowly increasing and he generally feels better about trying things knowing that his tics will not interfere.
    As it is initially for blood pressure, it is important to take it consistently and have regular ECGs to ensure no effects. As it is a medication, it is important to look at all the risks involved as well as the benefits. We are grateful that we gave it a try as it truly has been a blessing. If we could only find a way to deal with the explosive behaviour!

glad to hear that, NikkiL

At first I kinda had my doubts about it working and thought maybe i was just in a period of 'remission' so to speak, so i stopped taking it (something that shouldn't be done without asking a doctor) and i started ticcing more once it was out of my system. not stopping this one

Glad to hear that it works for you too!

What is average dose for kids?

Chester, I wouldn't know. you should contact your doctor. All i know is that my dose is particularily high for an adult.

Chester: as for doses, it is determined by weight. As the medication does have some strong side effects (blood pressure) it really should be determined by your doctor as well as regular follow ups to monitor your blood pressure. My sins does is from average-high for his weight. I hope this helps!