Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just a nervous mom

Default Just a nervous mom

A little history back in Aug 2011 my then 3.5 yr old started an eye blinking tic, it only lasted about 7-10 days and then was gone for 2.5- 3 months. It started back fter first of November and was pretty much daily throughout the day till about the first of Dec and since has been very sporatic. He turned 4 on Feb 13th and was still pretty much tic free only time I really noticed was when he was really tired. At his 4 yr checkup Dr gave diagnosis as transient tic disorder, and i havent seen the eye blinking in several weeks however I now have new concern. This past week we took a family vacation and went to a few dinner shows one were being a lumberjack show which was loud and freaked him out. I started noticing him doing a sort of weird mouth movement with a slight neck movement. This continued the whole show then stopped once we left but now just randomly I have seen him doing it sometimes with mouth open sometimes without. Its been 5 days now and I've seen no eye blinking just the chicken head as we'll call it. But very minimal only 2 of the 5 days so far. Is this common with transient tics to change.

Default Re: Just a nervous mom

Hello ans0925,

The last itme you posted on the Forum, I believe there was an appointment scheduled with your son's doctor a at the end of November.

Is this the visit you referred to:

At his 4 yr checkup Dr gave diagnosis as transient tic disorder
    Is your son expressing any vocal sounds that might be seen as vocal tics or has all his activity been in the form of body movement?

Have you noticed if stress seems to exacerbate the acitivity in him? What, during the lumberjack show seemed to upset or stimulate him?

lumberjack show which was loud and freaked him out
    Was he upset by the noise, the tree climbing, the noise of the chain saws or other noise? In what way did he respond? Increased tics, agitiation, crying, jitters?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Hello ans0925,

The last itme you posted on the Forum, I believe there was an appointment scheduled with your son's doctor a at the end of November.

Is this the visit you referred to:

Is your son expressing any vocal sounds that might be seen as vocal tics or has all his activity been in the form of body movement?

Have you noticed if stress seems to exacerbate the acitivity in him? What, during the lumberjack show seemed to upset or stimulate him?

Was he upset by the noise, the tree climbing, the noise of the chain saws or other noise? In what way did he respond? Increased tics, agitiation, crying, jitters?
    Steve, yes The appt was at the end of Nov and then his 4 yr checkup in Feb. The only tics I have noticed are motor no vocal thus far. The thing that first frightened him at the lumberjack show was a costumed black bear tried to shake his hand and he does not like costume characters, that's when I pretty much noticed the new tic. It did slowly subside as the show progressed. His times he would normally show the blinking tic was when uncomfortable (around strangers) Halloween was I think a re-trigger for he tic starting back in Nov and late night when he's sleepy and on occasions while watching TV. The lumberjack show was on Tuesday this past week and I've only noticed the new tic again today once while watching TV and he shortly fell asleep for
    a nap haven't seen it since. And as I posted earlier the last day I saw the blinking was about 3 weeks ago.

As you can appreciate, we are not in a position to offer a diagnosis and only your doctor can accurately do that by observing your son and interviewing you and your son over time.

Have a look at the diagnostic criteria for Tourette Syndrome HERE and continue the dialogue with your son's doctor, while documenting his progress over time.

Perhaps Tina may have some additional insights into what might be your best course to follow at this time, given the evolution of your son's tics.

Hi Ans0925,

We're all nervous moms. It's great that you're keeping track of the type and frequency of your child's tics.

There are some large studies that have indicated that up to 20% of students have tics at some time during childhood and adolescence. At the moment, your child may not have Tourette Syndrome, but as your doctor has indicated, this may be a Transient Tic Disorder. The age of onset is typically 3 -10 years,and tics usually occur on the head, neck, shoulders and/or arms.

Stress and anxiety can be triggers to tics, and the costumed black bear at the lumberjack show sounds like it was a trigger for your child.

I know you are nervous that your son may have TS, but the best thing you can do for your child is not to let your anxiety show. Ignore the tics for the most part, and you will reduce the child's anxiety and their tics. However, do continue keeping notes on frequency, type and duration, and present a little log to your doctor at the next check up. Blinking is a very common tic and could have a cause as simple as the air in your house is dry during the winter, and your child's eyes react by blinking more.

My personal opinion is that all children probably experience some tic-like behaviour as they grow accustomed to their growing bodies. We all have to figure out how we will deal with scary situations like black bears, costumed or not. My daughter dealt with anxiety by chewing on her hair. Was it a tic? Was it a symptom of anxiety? I don't know. But it did disappear after a couple of years.

There's nothing wrong with being nervous, but don't become anxious yourself over what in the spectrum of tics are very mild ones. You may find your child's tics disappear over time. Remember "Transient Tic Disorder" has the word "Transient" in it, meaning "lasting only a short time; existing briefly; temporary."

Cheers!
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Tina@Tourette View Post
    Hi Ans0925,

We're all nervous moms. It's great that you're keeping track of the type and frequency of your child's tics.

There are some large studies that have indicated that up to 20% of students have tics at some time during childhood and adolescence. At the moment, your child may not have Tourette Syndrome, but as your doctor has indicated, this may be a Transient Tic Disorder. The age of onset is typically 3 -10 years,and tics usually occur on the head, neck, shoulders and/or arms.

Stress and anxiety can be triggers to tics, and the costumed black bear at the lumberjack show sounds like it was a trigger for your child.

I know you are nervous that your son may have TS, but the best thing you can do for your child is not to let your anxiety show. Ignore the tics for the most part, and you will reduce the child's anxiety and their tics. However, do continue keeping notes on frequency, type and duration, and present a little log to your doctor at the next check up. Blinking is a very common tic and could have a cause as simple as the air in your house is dry during the winter, and your child's eyes react by blinking more.

My personal opinion is that all children probably experience some tic-like behaviour as they grow accustomed to their growing bodies. We all have to figure out how we will deal with scary situations like black bears, costumed or not. My daughter dealt with anxiety by chewing on her hair. Was it a tic? Was it a symptom of anxiety? I don't know. But it did disappear after a couple of years.

There's nothing wrong with being nervous, but don't become anxious yourself over what in the spectrum of tics are very mild ones. You may find your child's tics disappear over time. Remember "Transient Tic Disorder" has the word "Transient" in it, meaning "lasting only a short time; existing briefly; temporary."

Cheers!
    Tina
    Thanks, everyone I think what you are saying is exactly true about all kids doing their own thing to cope with stress, I know I personally as a child had severe stomach problems as a child due to anxiety and stress. I had never really thought about it till now but my mom reminded me of a habit or tic possibly I had as a child when I was excited. I have definitely been taking the Dr advice and completely ignoring the tics and I had gotten to the point I really didn't pay any attention or even worry about the blinking but just got that devastated feeling again when I noticed the new tic.

but just got that devastated feeling again when I noticed the new tic
    Why do you feel emotional devastation in response to your son's new tic?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Why do you feel emotional devastation in response to your son's new tic?
    I guess just because of the unknown. I'm just unsure if changing tics is common or possible with transient tic disorder, seeing a new tic and not knowing if transient disorder can change just scares me that this is possibly not something temporary and eventually will be TS. I put in a call to his pediatrician today but she was out to talk to her about the new tic to see if this is still in the realm of transient disorder. Although I know even if TS s eventually the diagnosis he can still lead a normal life its just heartbreaking to see them go through something you can't fix.

Hi Ans0925,

It's always difficult when you can't fix something for your child but your son will lead a normal life, he will have average to above average intelligence if he is part of the TS population, he will be healthy and able to do anything he wants to do. There are always unknowns for our children. I have worked with many disability-related communities from cerebral palsy to Spina Bifida to Stickler Syndrome. The unknowns for parents of children with these disabilites are also challenging. Your son does not face any of the physical barriers that these children do. Please celebrate what you do know about your son.

Tourette Syndrome is sometimes called an "invisible disability" because people with it are able to hide or mask their symptoms from the outside world. However, your son needs a safe, caring place where he can let out those tics. You have to provide that despite your fears. Continue to log his tics, but I wouldn't call your family doctor over each new one. Just show him/her the log when you have an appointment. This will help your doctor decide what next steps to take in a diagnosis for your son. Steve's already posted the link to the TSFC's page with the diagnostic criteria for TS.

One of our members suggested the work of Dr. Thomas Armstrong to me yesterday. You might want to take a look at his concept of neurodiversity. His message of hope may be empowering to you during this "transient" time.

All the best,
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

I am so appreciative of the support this forum offers!
    I am a nervous mom too~ really, I am anxious in the diagnostic sense ;) and I know how scary my daughter's first tics were at 18 months of age, and seeing them come and go was disturbing... my daughter is 6.5 now and we are used to her having tics and in the grand scheme of things, they are mild... I think it takes that time and experience to go from scared to accepting it as normal for your child, even if you would wish otherwise. But when you 'get used' to it, the concern eases because you know it isn't something bad/dangerous/threatening to your child, it is just them

In fact, i can read my daughter's anxiety (her big challenge) by her tics (or lack thereof), which is kind of helpful!:tickled_pink:
    And it is common, in her case, maybe in others? (I am still learning so much!) for a new experience or sensation to turn into a tic for a while... having a cold and a tickle in her throat leads to a coughing tic for months after~ her brain just seems to grab these stimuli and hang on to them. A scare would definitely set her up for it... and she is scared of a LOT LOL

Hang in there