Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 yr old son with Tourettes and behavior problems

Default 13 yr old son with Tourettes and behavior problems

My son has tourettes, severe adhd, & a significant learning disability, in reading and math. he has ocd like issues with obbsessions started at like age 3, he was obsessed about vacuums, then car cylinders etc. and especially where i am concerned, i have always been there for him and he knows this, but he clings to me too much, he basically is after affection and hugs way too often, more so than a 13 yr old should be.

he has major anxiety issues, and just about anything sets him off, his tics are both vocal were he makes strange noises, but not sure if it is on purpose or not, he has mostly body tics. his behavior is to the point that he can no longer be in main stream schooling, he is in the best possible place for school, where its a mental health class room he has access to nurse for his meds, a teachers assistant , and someone who does behavior modification with him, without this support i would be stressed out and ripping my hair out,

i need help understanding and need to know im not so alone dealing with some of his difficult behaviours which are rude, defiant, he is starting to throw things at me while they are small right now i fear it will escalate later on, he talks back and basically wont listen, sometimes to the point that i don't want to be around him, he is more behavioral with me as im the one that is always here with him. he doctor is awesome, but says he is a difficult case to medicate as he is hyper sensitive to everything, so right now his adhd is way out of control, been on everything and tried everything, waiting for tenex to get approved but also waiting for him to go into a special program where he stays at the hospital mon to fri and goes to school there as well. he gets monitored closely and in a safe place while his meds are being looked at and or changed as with his puberty in action ,

he is a mess. he is on alot of medications, which i sometimes feel guilty about as its too much, he is on respirodone .5 mtabs, 3 x daily, .5 mg clonazepam for relaxing him, melatonin to help sleep, vyvance 70 mg with is not doing much for him, and now waiting for tenex. we have tried to go without meds but unfortuneatly its not possible, if the hospital had a hard time and so does his class with 8 kids in it, imagine me at home, i couldnt do it again.

his school is now helping me with behaviors, he wants to please them so much so that they can control his behaviors at home, so we set in place a schedule and consequences which have him getting disciplined at home for some things and some major consequences at school for other things, and im happy to say that while its not perfect, my stress level is way down, to complicate matters worse he now has to deal with having fap which causes various cancers throughout the body,

can you imagine how anxious he was while awaiting genetics testing, and sees how i was really sick after my surgery for same disease. good news was no cancer had started yet and gastroenterlogist is now monitoring him closely, but this adds to his now over loading anxiety issues. so im looking for other parents that i can talk to in forum that are in similiar boat as me to help get through this difficult time, until they get things straigtened out with him....

i live in edmonton and basically dont know anyone here besides a couple of coworkers.

any help would be appreciated, especially with behavioral issues.
    Last edited by Steve; March 16, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: reformat for easier reading: added spaces

Default Re: 13yr old son with tourettes and behaviorial problems

There is a Chapter of TSFC in Edmonton where you can receive local support as well as have the opportunity to meet other parents and kids dealing with Tourette.

Default Re: 13 yr old son with Tourettes and behavior problems

Hi Darlene,

You might also want to sign up for the Trek for Tourette in Spruce Grove.
    You will meet many families from the Edmonton chapter there.
    You're not alone. There are many families helping their children through complex diagnoses and treatment.

I'm wondering about this statement in your post:
    his school is now helping me with behaviors, he wants to please them so much so that they can control his behaviors at home, so we set in place a schedule and consequences which have him getting disciplined at home for some things and some major consequences at school for other things
    Are you and your school treating some of the symptoms of his neurology as behaviour (which requires consequences and discipline), or as what they are symptoms of his neurological condition (which need to be accommodated)?
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

some of the behaviours he is experiencing are due to adhd, he is able to manage himself a little better with the routine schedule they helped me with, like showering everyday, attempting to clean his room. but when he is overly rude and defiant and aggressive they deal with some of that at school. they spend alot of time talking to him and trying to figure out why he does what he does.he is very hard to handle at times , and i needed some help from somewhere, i know these kids can try to cope at school and after holding it together all day, they vent and explode at home, but im not his door mat either and he needs to know that you can't just treat people any way you want, he is very obssessive with wanting all of my attention all the time, and is intrusive at times, so just trying to get him more aware that everyone has their own personal space and that he needs to be aware of that, as so does he. i dont know exactly everything about his tourettes but im trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by darlene View Post
    some of the behaviours he is experiencing are due to adhd, he is able to manage himself a little better with the routine schedule they helped me with, like showering everyday, attempting to clean his room. but when he is overly rude and defiant and aggressive they deal with some of that at school. they spend alot of time talking to him and trying to figure out why he does what he does.he is very hard to handle at times , and i needed some help from somewhere, i know these kids can try to cope at school and after holding it together all day, they vent and explode at home, but im not his door mat either and he needs to know that you can't just treat people any way you want, he is very obssessive with wanting all of my attention all the time, and is intrusive at times, so just trying to get him more aware that everyone has their own personal space and that he needs to be aware of that, as so does he. i dont know exactly everything about his tourettes but im trying to learn.
    Darlene,

My son with TS went through difficult behaviors especially during puberty. Those fluctuating hormones seemed to make everything worse. He threw tantrums, always tried to have the upper hand and was rude and disrespectful. Our home life was stressful and strained. For awhile we tried to blame it on his TS, but that was a diservice to him as well as ourselves. Many times these kids need firm boundaries and direction to learn how to better control their behavior. As soon as we put a behavior plan into action that had consequences for bad behavior, things started improving. It wasn't easy and we had to be firm and consistent, but I'm glad we persevered. A book that was recommended to me was "One, Two, Three, Magic". I had to refer to it repeatedly, because it was easy to slide back into the old habits of responding to unwanted behavior, but it really helped. My son is now 21 and a really great guy, so hang in there and know you aren't alone.

Thanks for the advice, I was wandering if we were trying to get his behavior under control, and trying the impossible,with routine Monday through Sunday, things are much better. And I'm happy to say that now that I set up special mom and devin time for good behaviors, he is being less intrusive and giving me a bit more space, his doctor and school programming and having 4 staff in classroom for 9 kids all with mental health issues is a great help, I couldn't imagine him in a regular classroom any longer as he needs one to one all day to help him stay focused, which he camt do any longer on hos own. And yeah raging hormones is generally hard enough with atypical kids, but with TS wow. One thing I am concerned about all the meds though, they are taking him off respirdone and putting him on seroqual because his OCD and anxiety are way to high. And he needs mood stabilizer, now something else of concern is the fact that my brother is bipolar with psychosis, while his TS diagnosis is correct, they wander if something else is an issue as ADHD doesn't explain some of his behaviors now , nor does he respond to ADHD Meds to help him at school. A learning process, but my hair is not going to grey yet so there is still hope... Thanks.

Darlene, my son has seen a pediatric neurologist since he was diagnosed with TS, OCD and ADHD at the age of 6. He has been through many drug trials, which was never easy. He now takes Prozac, Focalin XR, Seroquel, clonidine, and trazodone. His biggest challenge is still vocal and motor tics, but the behavioral issues are SO much better. There were times when I thought things would never improve, but they did. He has tried well over 30 different drugs over the years. Some helped and others made him worse, but we communicated with his doctor frequently as to side effects and the doctor has faithfully worked with him over the years. We took him out of public school and put him in a small private church school for kids with special needs. That was a lifesaver for him. His neurologist told us from the start to manipulate his environment and become his advocate. That was wise advice. You are fortunate to have a school that can provide support for both your son and you. Hang in there.

oh my goodness, I am so there. My son is 14 and his tourettes has been active and obvious most of his life. Now he seems super rigid in his thinking and not so nice when someone does not know what he knows. He is aloof with relationships and doesn't seek out conversation. He has many learning disabilities, anxiety (right now he takes about 2 baths a day), eating preferences, etc. If anyone has any ideas about how to teach him to be more sympathetic towards his sister and more compassionate towards other people let me know....

Michelle in Kelowna

Michelle,

Welcome to the Forum!

Has your son been evaluated by a doctor for his difficulty to cope and adapt?

right now he takes about 2 baths a day
    Why does he say he's doing this?

He goes to a psychiatrist, but we don't get much direct help from him. He has referred us to youth and mental health, but the problem is my son doesn't open up and talk and so they don't know what to do with h im.